Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Many Quilts Do You Make? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-quilts-do-you-make-t215816.html)

QUILTNMO 03-10-2013 07:26 AM

i have been quilting since 1980 have no idea how many i have made and i know i make alot during the year for premies!! never thought counting what i do lol.

isewman 03-10-2013 09:42 AM

I'm hope this isnt a bragging statement. I'm just finishing quilt # 6 for my grdkids. The first 1 was just a panel. But the quilts I'm makeing now there only roughly 62 by 81". As for a quilt for me/family, etc. I do between 4-5. As soon as I get 1 quilt top made(done), I start another 1.

Shrink42020 03-10-2013 12:25 PM

I took my first class April 2011 and have just finished my 48th quilt- 6 of which were king size. Once I got started I just couldn't quit! LOL!

jclinganrey 03-10-2013 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 5915354)
Oh I make as many as I gain pleasure making. This is a hobby not a race I enjoy finding new patterns but more pleasure from techniques. Start a new one when I feel I want to and work on it as long as I feel satisfied. The quilt police are not time watching or saying when to finish. Enjoy find pleasure and fulfilment from each quilt no matter how quickly it happens or how slowly.satisfaction is yours not others.

Well said! I feel the same way. I find that I'm kind of sporadic in my quilt making and have been for several years. It was different when I had my quilt shop & HAD to make something for the shop. I will say, though, that for me, working with a deadline often 'motivates' me to finish a quilt, i.e., a wedding, a graduation, etc. Otherwise, I have a tendency to start a quilt and end up with a UFO. That's partly why I signed up for the Quilts for Quilters. I have a deadline and someone on the other end expecting a finished quilt. Of course, I'll be receiving a quilt, too.

Just my thoughts - - -

Jane

Btucker2714 03-10-2013 02:53 PM

Well I guess how many you make depends on if you are just making the tops and if you machine quilt or hand quilt them. I machine piece most of mine and hand quilt them. I do have a couple quilts that I hand pieced, but have not quilted them yet.

My husband said I could do a lot more if I machine quilted, but my Granny taught me to hand quilt and it's very therapeutic for me. I would hate to lose that just get more quilts out.

jaly3162 03-10-2013 02:54 PM

I have five quilts at the quilter so far this year, and they are not small quilts. I have fabric for two more for classes I'm taking next week. I've also made a purse and a wall hanging. I think I need to slow down, but I have so many ideas in my head for other quilts I want to make. My husband put a lot of my quilts in totes this past week because I was running out of space for them.

CRO 03-10-2013 03:10 PM

I have been quilting for 3 yrs. I am working on my 7th quilt. I work 10 hr days and am pretty buy on the farm and don't quilt at all in the summer. No time. I love doing it though, and have my next project in mind whenever I finish this one.

WMUTeach 03-11-2013 07:19 AM

I shoot for one project per month. That may be a quilt, a table runner or small piece as well as larger projects. It often happens that I will get "pieces" for several finished over several months and then get three done in a 3 - 4 week time span but nothing completed for other months. Four since November 1 is outstanding. Remember, quilting is creativity and it is for your pleasure as well as blessings to others. We are not in a race, we are in love with the colors, projects, challenges and processes of quilting. Enjoy your time with a quilt in hand.

BellaBoo 03-11-2013 07:27 AM

I take a lot of workshop and classes soI have at least six or more quilt tops started at any one time. I usually get all the tops finished within a few months of starting. I average about 8 quilts binded a year. About half are used for donation quilts. I don't make heirloom quilts that take a year or more to make. I like scrappy quilts and big block quilts.

Cagey 03-11-2013 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl (Post 5914269)
I have been quilting three years. I have made four quilts since November 1. My daughter thinks it's a lot. I don't think it is. What is your average?

To add to this question, what do you do with the quilts you make. Do you give most of the away? I usually make about 4 large quilts a year and lots of small items for craft fairs. My DH seems to think I'm running out of room to display the quilts.