Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many yards do you iron? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-yards-do-you-iron-t197165.html)

quiltingcandy 08-10-2012 11:22 AM

I wash my fabric when I bring it home and don't iron it until I need it. Mainly because I am not that fond of ironing in the first place, but I read in a couple of the books that ironing is not good for fabric in general so it gives me a good excuse to wait until I need the fabric.

Latrinka 08-11-2012 05:19 AM

I don't "time" anything.

burchquilts 08-11-2012 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5429606)
I agree with ckcowl...I wash it when I buy it and iron when I take it out to use it. No marathons of ironing for me

Ditto. I figure it will only get wrinkled or creased if I iron it before I store it, so I just wait & iron it when I get ready to use it.

Vat 08-11-2012 05:55 AM

I have never measure time or fabric, just start the job and stop when I get tired of it and move to something else and come back until I finish. But I also starch while pressing. Which much longer because I iron it dry.

carolynjo 08-11-2012 06:11 AM

Ditto. I don't iron until I need to cut and sew.

katesnanna 08-11-2012 06:15 AM

Glad most of you do as I do wash fold and store. I HATE ironing but never never use unwashed fabric. I usually soak in very hot water for at least 30minutes. I fold the fabric into the water, squeeze fabric and then hang on the line. If they are dark fabrics I hang with the back of the fabric showing. I don't own a dryer, don't need one. I live in the Sunshine state. Seeing a line of clean fabric is better than a line of clean sheets.
Once I've washed fabrics I cut corners with pinking shears, then if unwashed fabric accidently gets mixed in I know what has been washed. No sense washing twice. If a new fabric has a strong chemical smell I hang it in the sun for a day or two and it usually goes away. If the smell is still there after 2 days in the sun I'll soak in prewash powder.

quiltmom04 08-11-2012 06:21 AM

I don't iron them after I wash them. You will need to iron it again anyway before you use it, and I can tell which has been prewashed because it has not been ironed.

ghostrider 08-11-2012 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by GailG (Post 5431278)
How do you handle the batik quarters? I have a bunch to do and was wondering if I should serge the edges. I've never worked with batiks before.

Batiks seldom ravel at all, one or two threads, tops. I toss FQs in with the rest of the fabric on gentle cycle. They hardly wrinkle at all either. Love 'em.

I prewash everything, fold out of dryer and press when ready to use like most everyone else. Longest single piece I've ironed (so far) was 12 yards, but I have no idea how long it took. It's wide backings that I hate to iron, all the rest is easy.

GrannieAnnie 08-11-2012 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Crafty1 (Post 5429586)
I made lots of fabric purchases last month and started to wash them, which also means ironing them all. I always pre-wash before storing. In one hour I ironed 5 pieces totaling 24 yards.

Out of curiosity, how many yards of fabric do you iron in one hour?

as few as possible. I wait until the last minute to iron.

MargeD 08-11-2012 07:08 AM

I've never counted, but I usually have my favorite TV show on, or a favorite movie, and the time seems to fly by, and before I know it, I've ironed 20-30 yards of fabric. While I was in Rehab, recovering from a spinal cord injury, one of the therapists gave me 39 yards of fabric that a friend had given her and she wasn't going to use it (I counted because I was curious) which was a very generous gift. If I washed it all at the same time, I could iron for hours,without realizing how long I had been ironing, but I would wind up with a large stack of washed, ironed and stacked fabric.