Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many yards do you iron?

Blog Entries

How many yards do you iron?

I made lots of fabric purchases last month and started to wash them, which also means ironing them all. I always pre-wash before storing. In one hour I ironed 5 pieces totaling 24 yards.

Out of curiosity, how many yards of fabric do you iron in one hour?

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty Type A, but even I haven't counted how many yards I can press, fold and store in an hour.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    i generally pre-wash, dry, fold & put away- i iron the fabric when i am getting ready to use it---see no point in having to iron it twice...also i may want to use starch before cutting & i don't store starched fabric...i did however spend a whole day one time ironing batik fat quarters...it was almost a 'zen' day- i really enjoyed just fondling, ironing, ohhing & ahhing over the beautiful fabrics- i think there was something like 20 yards of them- i haven't done any 'marathon speed ironing' or tried to break any records- i enjoy the process once in a while...generally i am just ironing as i go-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I agree with ckcowl...I wash it when I buy it and iron when I take it out to use it. No marathons of ironing for me

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
    I agree with ckcowl...I wash it when I buy it and iron when I take it out to use it. No marathons of ironing for me
    Ditto here, I only iron what I'm going to use at the time. Otherwise, washed, folded and stored.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I've never kept track of yards per hour. I wash, dry and iron all fabrics before putting away. When I have a pile ready to iron, I pop in a movie and enjoy!

I'm another prewash (which for me is just a good rinse in hot water) dry, fold neatly and put away.
    I starch and press just what I need when I'm ready to cut. Our differences are what make us interesting.

Power Poster
    I measure fabric before and after washing it - just because I always feel so 'justified' for washing it when I can verify that it shrank. I usually just fold it until ready to cut it, also.

When I refolded fabric a few years ago, I did iron everything - from the back - and put safety pins in the selvages if there was a flaw or something to watch for on the piece.

I pre-wash but never iron, until I'm ready to use the fabric. Seems like a waste of time, to iron, then fold . . . then have to iron again, before using!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    I normally don't keep track, but was curious how many I can iron before taking a break

I guess I like to iron twice, hehe, me and my quirky ways!

I wash all my fabrics, and only iron when I am ready to use them. Then a bit of starch and I am off to sewing!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I typically do not iron until its ready to be cut. Batiks are the exception... they wrinkle more in the dryer and I can't bring myself to store really wrinkly fabric.

I don't even think I own 24 yards of fabric. Too much ADHD in me t do the same task that long... I jump around from one task to another

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    I don't even think I own 24 yards of fabric. Too much ADHD in me t do the same task that long... I jump around from one task to another
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have lots more than 24 yards of fabric, but I can't stay at the sewing machine for an hour, let alone the boring ironing board. My mind races too much at the ironing board.

Blog Entries
    I agree I do the same much easier.

so funny to read these.My mind races about cutting and piecing fabric when I an doing dishes,etc.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I can't stand and do anything for an hour. The last thing I'm going to to is spend my time washing and ironing fabric and then turn around and iron it again before I cut. I iron with Best Press right before cutting.

I also iron as I go, because I starch and its hard on me to stand and twist with lower spine arthiritis which now has moved to rib cage.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i generally pre-wash, dry, fold & put away- i iron the fabric when i am getting ready to use it---see no point in having to iron it twice...also i may want to use starch before cutting & i don't store starched fabric...i did however spend a whole day one time ironing batik fat quarters...it was almost a 'zen' day- i really enjoyed just fondling, ironing, ohhing & ahhing over the beautiful fabrics- i think there was something like 20 yards of them- i haven't done any 'marathon speed ironing' or tried to break any records- i enjoy the process once in a while...generally i am just ironing as i go-
    How do you handle the batik quarters? I have a bunch to do and was wondering if I should serge the edges. I've never worked with batiks before.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Probably not too many in one hour. lol I don't iron it til I'm ready to use it, just wash, dry, fold onto comic book boards and put into the shelf. You'll have to re-iron it before using anyway.
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

I wash my fabric when I bring it home and don't iron it until I need it. Mainly because I am not that fond of ironing in the first place, but I read in a couple of the books that ironing is not good for fabric in general so it gives me a good excuse to wait until I need the fabric.

I don't "time" anything.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
    Ditto. I figure it will only get wrinkled or creased if I iron it before I store it, so I just wait & iron it when I get ready to use it.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Vat
    I have never measure time or fabric, just start the job and stop when I get tired of it and move to something else and come back until I finish. But I also starch while pressing. Which much longer because I iron it dry.

Ditto. I don't iron until I need to cut and sew.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast