Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many yards do you iron? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-yards-do-you-iron-t197165.html)

Crafty1 08-09-2012 02:43 PM

How many yards do you iron?

I made lots of fabric purchases last month and started to wash them, which also means ironing them all. I always pre-wash before storing. In one hour I ironed 5 pieces totaling 24 yards.

Out of curiosity, how many yards of fabric do you iron in one hour?

Krisb 08-09-2012 02:49 PM

I'm pretty Type A, but even I haven't counted how many yards I can press, fold and store in an hour.

ckcowl 08-09-2012 02:51 PM

i generally pre-wash, dry, fold & put away- i iron the fabric when i am getting ready to use it---see no point in having to iron it twice...also i may want to use starch before cutting & i don't store starched fabric...i did however spend a whole day one time ironing batik fat quarters...it was almost a 'zen' day- i really enjoyed just fondling, ironing, ohhing & ahhing over the beautiful fabrics- i think there was something like 20 yards of them- i haven't done any 'marathon speed ironing' or tried to break any records- i enjoy the process once in a while...generally i am just ironing as i go-

quiltingweb 08-09-2012 02:53 PM

I agree with ckcowl...I wash it when I buy it and iron when I take it out to use it. No marathons of ironing for me

DogHouseMom 08-09-2012 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5429606)
I agree with ckcowl...I wash it when I buy it and iron when I take it out to use it. No marathons of ironing for me

Ditto here, I only iron what I'm going to use at the time. Otherwise, washed, folded and stored.

KarenK 08-09-2012 02:58 PM

I've never kept track of yards per hour. :o I wash, dry and iron all fabrics before putting away. When I have a pile ready to iron, I pop in a movie and enjoy!

KalamaQuilts 08-09-2012 03:00 PM

I'm another prewash (which for me is just a good rinse in hot water) dry, fold neatly and put away.
I starch and press just what I need when I'm ready to cut. Our differences are what make us interesting.

bearisgray 08-09-2012 03:05 PM

I measure fabric before and after washing it - just because I always feel so 'justified' for washing it when I can verify that it shrank. I usually just fold it until ready to cut it, also.

When I refolded fabric a few years ago, I did iron everything - from the back - and put safety pins in the selvages if there was a flaw or something to watch for on the piece.

Neesie 08-09-2012 03:08 PM

I pre-wash but never iron, until I'm ready to use the fabric. Seems like a waste of time, to iron, then fold . . . then have to iron again, before using!

Crafty1 08-09-2012 03:08 PM

I normally don't keep track, but was curious how many I can iron before taking a break :o

I guess I like to iron twice, hehe, me and my quirky ways!