Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you made a dear jane? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-made-dear-jane-t117821.html)

granny_59 04-21-2011 03:02 PM

and how many of you have been thinking of making one and never started?
I was amazed of the the dear jane as soon as I got into quilting two years ago and thought that I will never get that far. One year ago I was tempted but after a closer look at the patterns I thought I might better forget about it.
Right now I dont feel much different but............maybe I could start with the easier blocks. I would not have to worry about a quilt pattern for years and in case I would master it, there would not be any limit to me any more - but who is making own quilt designs at the age of 99!?

What made you decide for or against it?
Granny

sewwhat85 04-21-2011 03:06 PM

i would love to make a dear jane quilt

Fabaddict 04-21-2011 03:06 PM

I made one - did it block of the week. For me it was easier that way. I did not hand appliuqe, I machine appliqued any blocks that required applique. It is finished, quilted and bound and hanging on the wall in my family room.

sharon b 04-21-2011 03:09 PM

If you do a search here on the board, there is a group that is finishing up making it- they did it a few blocks a week for over a year . And some really gorgeous quilts :thumbup:

granny_59 04-21-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
If you do a search here on the board, there is a group that is finishing up making it- they did it a few blocks a week for over a year . And some really gorgeous quilts :thumbup:

I did search...........in fact if I would take the hours searching on the subject I would have finished at least twenty blocks by now :oops:

granny_59 04-21-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
I made one - did it block of the week. For me it was easier that way. I did not hand appliuqe, I machine appliqued any blocks that required applique. It is finished, quilted and bound and hanging on the wall in my family room.

Picture please...........please

max's grandma 04-21-2011 03:25 PM

I am in the process, have 78 blks done and slowly working on some more, work on it in between other quilts.Do not know how long it will take me to finish, just started it hoping I will get it finished

gramarraine 04-21-2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by granny_59
and how many of you have been thinking of making one and never started?
I was amazed of the the dear jane as soon as I got into quilting two years ago and thought that I will never get that far. One year ago I was tempted but after a closer look at the patterns I thought I might better forget about it.
Right now I dont feel much different but............maybe I could start with the easier blocks. I would not have to worry about a quilt pattern for years and in case I would master it, there would not be any limit to me any more - but who is making own quilt designs at the age of 99!?

What made you decide for or against it?

Granny

I have looked at the Dear Jane and thought I would like to make one but the blocks look so small I decided I didn't want that much work. But after doing a block exchange with 6" blocks I think I could do one and it would be fun.

athenagwis 04-21-2011 03:49 PM

I am picking my way through one, I think if you start with the easier blocks and work your way up you will surprise yourself. With the software you can even make the blocks a bigger size which would make them easier.

I hope you give it a try!

Cheers!
Rachel

granny_59 04-21-2011 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
I am picking my way through one, I think if you start with the easier blocks and work your way up you will surprise yourself. With the software you can even make the blocks a bigger size which would make them easier.

I hope you give it a try!

Cheers!
Rachel

About the software, how easy is it to handle? I am a software illiterate............