Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you quilt your own quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-quilt-your-own-quilts-t97830.html)

unkin123 02-09-2011 08:15 AM

I make quilts for myself and my family. I enjoy picking fabrics, designing a quilt and piecing the quilt top. I am no longer able to finish the process and have to have someone else do the quilting. But I do enjoy using the quilts I've made.

BeckiQuilts 02-09-2011 08:29 AM

I really enjoy picking the fabrics after deciding on a pattern. Most of my quilts are given away and made with the particular person in mind. I sometimes enjoy the cutting, but really get excited once I get it on the frames. I work VERY slowly, because I am vision impaired, with sight in only one eye. It takes me months to hand quilt a large quilt, but is fulfilling . Baby quilts and lap quilts I normally do on my machine. That's a switch, isn't it.

Donnamarie 02-09-2011 08:50 AM

I only quilt small projects. I do not enjoy the quilting process of a large quilt (on my Bernina, I do not own a long-arm). I love making the quilt top, I guess I'm a topper! But, I always send them out to be quilted. They always come back looking fantastic and I have more time to move on to the next.

franc36 02-09-2011 08:51 AM

I quilt my own quilts on my sewing machine. I am not excellent at FMQ but get better with each quilt. I think my quilts look fine on a bed. I love making the top and the quilting; but, like you, I do not enjoy making the sandwich. I've had the backing and batting for my latest quilt on my table for a week. Hopefully, I'll tackle it today.

Regena 02-09-2011 09:11 AM

I hand quilt all of mine, plus hand quilt for other people. I would rather quilt than piece a quilt.

judykay 02-09-2011 09:17 AM

I hand quilt my own quilts, I have had one done on a long arm because I knew I would never get to it as it was for me and had been in my closet waiting to be quilted for seven years. The lady did a fantastic job & would definitely use her again if I decided I needed a top finished that I could not get to. I love doing the hand quilting but also love every process except picking out the fabric, I have always been intimidated by this process and the basting of the sandwiches together.

hatchet 02-09-2011 09:23 AM

I love everything about quilting, even the ironing!! I quilt mine and others with a juki short arm on a gracie frame. Would love to have a bigger better machine but can't afford that!!

klgreene 02-09-2011 09:25 AM

I absolutely love picking out the fabric and planning and piecing. Doing the actual quilting is not my favorite because I can't do anything more than straight stitches, and anything larger than a wall hanging is a real pain to get through my tiny hole in my machine.

AnitaSt 02-09-2011 09:39 AM

I too quilt all my own. I'm still learning to free-motion and need lots more practice but I think I enjoy the quilting part as much or more than the piecing. For me, it requires more creativity because I'm not following a pattern or block design like when piecing.

Homespun 02-09-2011 09:41 AM

I quilt my own. Don't do much handquilting anymore--too hard on my wrists.