Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-t256495.html)

Eva Knight 11-08-2014 01:36 PM

I quilt my own.

KarenK 11-08-2014 02:28 PM

Haven't sent any out yet - BUT - am seriously considering it. I have too many tops that need to be finished and am thinking a longarmer will be able to help me get back to square one. I'm currently working my way through the Craftsy class - Creative Quilting with Your Walking Foot - and will be able to finish quite a few quilts on my own.

Misty's Mom 11-08-2014 02:35 PM

Has anyone sent any to MSQC to be quilted?

tessagin 11-08-2014 02:43 PM

I do my own. Have tied couple small ones, repaired a couple small ones and quilted a crib size. Haven't done anything larger than crib. That was a cross hatch and about 10 years ago. Also made a diaper stacker. I quilted the fabric then cut the pattern. It was easier for me.

suern3 11-08-2014 02:43 PM

I do FMQ on my home sewing machine. I like doing my own start to finish. Sometimes it is a struggle but for the most part, in the end I'm happy with it. I'm not a show quilter, nor a perfectionist, so it works for me.

Lori S 11-08-2014 02:45 PM

I send any bed size quilts to a Long Arm pro. I had gotten to a point where I would dread quilting a bed size quilt , because I just wrestled with it on my machine. It was very liberating... I could make quilts in very large sizes without thinking about the dreaded wrestling match that was to follow the piecing. The Long Arm Pro's I have worked with have done far more amazing quilting than I would.
For me its honoring , the sometimes 100 or more hours of piecing that I put into a quilt , to have someone who skills can do it justice quilt it.

francie yuhas 11-08-2014 03:05 PM

I quilt my own...longarmers do great work,but it's not in the budget.

SouthPStitches 11-08-2014 03:17 PM

I can no longer handle hand quilting anything larger than a full. Can't baste anything bigger and my hands just won't hold up. I send maybe one quilt a year to a LAQ that does a lovely, simple job and is relatively affordable.

RainyBC 11-08-2014 03:20 PM

Since I didn't start quilting until I was 79, Queen size or larger, I have long arm quilted by a gal close to home who does it for a reasonable price. There is no way I could wrestle a large quilt through my small sewing machine. I love to quilt small items and enjoy all the FMQ practice I can get. I wish I had started this hobby years ago when I see all the wonderful work of forum members.

Dolphyngyrl 11-08-2014 03:22 PM

Right now currently send them out, but am working this year heavily on getting my FMQ skills up to par to be able to do my own because it is too expensive to send out. I currently have 4 almost 5 finished quilt tops which will be about 600+ dollars to have someone else quilt. I don't have 600+ dollars for that so here they sit unfinished as I am a perfectionist and refuse to ruin my gorgeous tops with my subpar quilting