Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-t256495.html)

charlottequilts 11-08-2014 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Grandma (Post 6961405)
Wow, I guess I'm not a "quilter". I didn't realize that I can't claim it is "my quilt " if my friend "Bob the Quilter" quilts it for me.i love to piece, but find it too difficult to quilt large quilts. I did not realize that fellow quilters were so judgmental

If you reread the responses carefully, you will find that people are giving their opinions on how they feel, themselves, not on what another person should do. No one is being judgmental.

Hugs,
Charlotte

Leslie333 11-08-2014 07:13 PM

I've always quilted all of my quilts myself, but the largest I've ever attempted is a large lap quilt or close to twin sized. I don't do anything too fancy and my FMQ is decent for stippling, but nothing complicated. If I'm doing it as a gift (almost always for family) I want to do the whole thing myself. I have a few larger quilts in my list of projects and will very likely use a long arm quilter for a queen sized quilt I want to do for myself.

Sheilz 11-08-2014 07:26 PM

I've done all my own though on two occasions I've hired the use of the quilting machine at the local quilt store to get a more polished finish on large quilts. Its a relatively cheap way to benefit from an LA. I like doing my own quilting its fun and really is the only way to improve, esp managing larger quilts.

SandyinZ4 11-08-2014 07:34 PM

I send my big ones out. I only get about one big one made every two years so not so expensive. I try to FMQ the twin and lap size on my DSM.

Jackie Spencer 11-08-2014 07:37 PM

My niece has a long arm, so I pay her to quilt my Queen size quits, the smaller ones I can do. I don't see anything wrong with that, at least they get finished.

Quilt-T 11-08-2014 07:45 PM

I mostly sent out before moving and not having a new job. So I've taken a LA class and now I'm starting to do them on my own. If I have an extremely special one, I'll still send that out because I'll need quilting beyond my capabilities.

mamagrande 11-08-2014 08:11 PM

I have been piecing for over 15 years and was a manager of a quilt store. I sent all of my quilts to a local LA pro, maybe about 10-15 quilts. Now that I am retired I have about another 10 tops and many UFO's. Two years ago I got a HQ16 and am now quilting my own and also for others.
I have friends that enjoy the piecing and designing of their tops so when i machine quilt it, I don't consider it my quilt, I do like to get credit for the quilting part of it

GrannieAnnie 11-08-2014 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by jodypeabod (Post 6960915)
How many of you send out your quilts to a LA quilter vs. quilting your own, be it hand quilting, tying, or machine free hand?

Mine either get tied or sent out

Pagzz 11-08-2014 09:36 PM

years ago I had two quilted by a professional but since then I have done all my own.

Feathers-N-Fur 11-09-2014 12:02 AM

So far I have only quilted my tops myself, walking foot, FMQ and tying, but I am planning to send my SIL's wedding quilt to a long armer recommended by a friend. I wish I could afford to send out all of my tops. I much prefer to piece than wrestle a queen size through my DSM, which is the size I make the most. I have a 9" straight stitch machine with a frame, but I like my results better just working at my desk, the 9" is just too limiting with the frame poles in the way.