Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-t70651.html)

redvette54 10-17-2010 09:44 AM

I took classes. I haven't in a long time, but would like to again, it gives me a deadline to get things done. Coming here everyday is like a great everything you wanted to know class.

Deb watkins 10-17-2010 09:46 AM

Self-taught, but have taken a couple classes at the Manucso Quilt Shows for the past two years when they are in PA. I also like the challenge of looking at something and working it out for myself.

grammyp 10-17-2010 09:46 AM

I'm self taught. I did take home ec in high school, but had been sewing for years before that. I do get together with friends and share ideas, but have never been to a seminar or class.

tjradj 10-17-2010 09:48 AM

I was taught to machine sew by my mom when I was eight.
Then took Home Ec in school during grades 7 and 8 (we got 'shipped' off to a regional school for that.
But I taught myself to quilt, 30 years later.

mollymct 10-17-2010 09:52 AM

I'm teaching myself as I go with a lot of help from this site and tutorials/blogs. I'd love to take some good classes, though!

DoxieMom 10-17-2010 09:56 AM

Self-taught--meaning I've never taken classes--but I've gotten a lot of help, inspiration and encouragement from my cousin, Dottie, and from everyone here on this board!!!

iluvquilts 10-17-2010 10:00 AM

Just began quilting about 1 year ago. Self-taught via books, patterns etc. Took one class that I did get some great tips from but I have learned more from this board than everything else put together!

Great tips, motivation, ideas and more! Thanks to all and I am so glad I found this board!

Cindy :thumbup:

denilynne 10-17-2010 10:01 AM

I am self taught, no one i know quilts or sews, i quilt all by my little ole self as with most things. But i love this site i have learned so much here.

StitchinJoy 10-17-2010 10:08 AM

I started out self taught in 1969 There were no teachers or shops or books.

I subscribed to Quilters Newsletter and started trying out different techniques. I went to museums and looked at quilts from long ago.

Our local quilt shop opened in the 80s and I started taking classes. I started going to quilt shows in the 90s and taking classes there. I watched Fons and Porter and Alex Anderson. I joined a guild in 1994 and took workshops with them.

I go to quilt camp every spring and go to the shore and quilt with friends every September. I learn from them all.

I learn from you folks on this board, from ladies in my AOL Quilting community, and from designs I see on blogs and other places on the web.

And now I teach workshops. Giving back to all those who have taught me!

Sweeterthanwine 10-17-2010 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I am curious, I look at the pictures of the quilts and I wonder, how many of you are self taught and how many have taken classes.
I am self taught, I look at something I like and go home and re create it to the best of my ability

I too am self taught. I've always been interested in quilting as I watched my mother when I was very young. Unfortunately, she passed on before I got a chance to learn. I bought two learn how books and went from there. This board has been very helpful to. I love this site and all the other sites they have recommended to me. Thanks all.