Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Much Do You Spend? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-do-you-spend-t48688.html)

ToucanSam 06-07-2010 09:20 AM

I'm in denial. I have no idea. Well, I have an idea, but don't want to dwell on it. :)

Joan 06-07-2010 09:20 AM

I just don't keep track, it would ruin the fun for me. Right now, I make mostly smallish quilts and rummage through my stash. Usually, I can find something I like and with a little additional fabric I'm good to go.......

But, I do need to add that a sale gets me in mood to buy and that I have found lots of great fabric at yard sales for practically nothing......

ckcowl 06-07-2010 09:26 AM

meant to tell (on my self) the first BIG quilt i made, king size dragon fly stained glass dragonfly quilt for my daughter's wedding present...started with a class for a stained glass block, class, pattern, fabric ect started me out with $125...then i had to make that center block (24"x30") into a king size quilt...spent almost $700 more before it was done...then went to the local quilt shop to find out...what now...they gave me a business card and said...call him, he will get it quilted for you and take good care of you. I made the call, took in the quilt...was told he charges 2.25 cents per square inch...ok, what ever that means, i don't care, wedding is in 3 weeks i need the quilt. He did a wonderful job!!!quilting cost? $385. I almost had a heart attack!decided i could never make another quilt...unless i learned to quilt them myself.
i have not done anything even close to that since, it was very overwhelming.even though my daughter tried very hard to keep wedding expenses to a minimum...lots of things sure wound up costing... about 6 months later i bought my self a longarm so i could keep quilting...i figure it paid for itself within a year. :)

seamstome 06-07-2010 09:39 AM

Material, thread, batting, backing and longarm quilting it is in the 200-500 range. Im doing a king that will probably end up about 800.

craftybear 06-07-2010 09:45 AM

just making small projects right now, lap quilts

mpspeedy 06-07-2010 09:52 AM

Ihave been quilting for more than 40 years and have a huge stash. I would say over the years I have averaged out to at least $300 per bed quilt. I shop wherever I can find fabric. I purchase stuff on sale whenever possible. I took a friend on a tour of three different fabric shops a couple of weeks ago. She needs to make a quilt for a wedding present. I ended up spending $100. She didn't get anything and still hasn't made up her mind. I don't even have anything in particular in mind for the fabric and notions I purchased. I do make at least two Linus quilts a week or more. I often donate fabric, backing or batting to the quilt projects we are doing at the Senior Center. I purchased 4 yards of fabric to complete the top I am currently assembling for them last week. I got lucky it was on a final clearance sale for basically $3 a yard.

sharon b 06-07-2010 09:52 AM

There are just some things I don't want to know :wink: LOL Some cost more than others , just depends on size , how soon I have to get it done ( if quickly can't wait for sales :cry: ) who it is for , etc...

Pineapple Princess 06-07-2010 09:53 AM

I don't think I've ever spent more then $50, but then again, I don't make much money, so I have to be frugal.

Scissor Queen 06-07-2010 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
Material, thread, batting, backing and longarm quilting it is in the 200-500 range. Im doing a king that will probably end up about 800.

I've got three queen size quilts in the works that will probably end up in the $800 range by the time I get thru paying to have them longarm quilted.

theresse 06-07-2010 10:23 AM

About 6 years ago, I was ask to make a Qt for a raffle for horse club. They would pay for fabric. It was $226.00 all I donated was my labor. The Qt was a twin and tyed.I didn't know how to machine Qt then.