Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-buy-t181351.html)

gollytwo 03-03-2012 05:21 AM

If I love it and think it'll be a useful fabric in several quilts I buy 3-5 yards depending on how good the sale price is.
I rarely buy less than a yard. And only buy a FQ if it has a specific use in a quilt I'm currently constructing.

Silver Needle 03-03-2012 05:44 AM

I can't afford to buy just because I like it. That said, I, have a lot of UFO's just waiting to be started! I like the idea of 3 yards, that sounds like a plan to me.

mtnmama 03-03-2012 06:54 AM

I read something in a magazine article about this subject. It said if you like the fabric buy 1 yard. If you really like it buy 2. If you find you can't live another minute without having it buy 3 yards. This is funny but still doesn't answer the question. I don't really know the answer. I usually buy 1 yard, if its on sale, I may buy more. If you decide to make a certain pattern, it may only call for 3 or 4 fabrics and you may not have enough, then you get to go back to the quilt shop! How awful!

Rann 03-03-2012 07:00 AM

Way too much of any I see and like.

bigsister63 03-03-2012 07:02 AM

If I want fabric as a focus fab and as borders, I buy 4 yds since I like a wide border. I ususally try to buy fabric to go with pattern all at one time since that way I have enough of each fabric. ( or only what is needed.) I am not a great stash builder since I never seem to have the correct or right amount of fabric needed in my stash. If I am buying "go to gether fabrics" then I buy at least 1 yd of each. I also put fabric together with pattern and wright which goes where so I do not forget.

BettyGee 03-03-2012 07:03 AM

I buy three yards. Kudos to those who buy for a project, but if I see a fabric that calls to me I know I will find a project to use it. If I find a fabric that I absolutely love I will buy as much of it as I can afford and so far that has served me well.

PolkaBabe 03-03-2012 07:10 AM

I just wanted to say Welcome to the board.

grandma.me 03-03-2012 08:13 AM

I would have liked to type this under a new heading, but I couldn't find any directions on how to do this. I have looked everywhere! I am having a problem figuring out how much material to get for a queen size quilt. The top will have 224 6.5 I squares. It will have 112 6.5 squares of one color and 112-113 squ. of another color. How many yards of each color would I need to buy? This is for mission sewing where we give a queen size quilt to the young people getting married in our parish. I had this figured out at one time, but sure can't get the figures to come out today. Too much fibro-fog. Thank you for all you help.
Marilyn

patchsamkim 03-03-2012 08:19 AM

Since I love scrap quilts, I mostly buy fat quarters, and half yards. Border fabrics I will buy up to 3 yards. If not sure, usually buying a yard of something will give you plenty to work with.

delma_paulk 03-03-2012 08:22 AM

At least one (1) yard.....if it appeals maybe 2.....if its a GOOD sale, enough for backing.

delma