Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How much fabric do you buy?

How much fabric do you buy?

I am new to the quilting "passion" and wonder how much fabric you buy when you find it on sale and don't have a specific project in mind?

Waaaayyyy too much! According to how much the final price is, and how much I can afford, I usually get a cart full of whatever I like. I usually buy prints on sale, so when I need solids, I "have" to go buy them (oh, woe is me, another trip to the store)! LOL
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

I buy only what I need. I always have some project going. I guess I don't plan ahead far enough to buy ahead. I just wait until I'm ready to start a project.

I need to clarify, I'm somewhat new to this obsession of quilting, too. So when I see some fabric that I'd like to make a quilt from someday, I never know how much I'm gonna need for whatever pattern I decide on. That's why I buy too much. By the way, I'm a contender for the top spot in "She who dies with the most fabric, WINS".
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Power Poster
    I usually buy 3 yd./m. This gives me a long enough piece to cut 1 piece borders and usually enough for whatever design I want to do. I say usually because I will be adding other fabrics with it and I don't do King size quilts. 3 will also give me a piece big enough to back most baby quilts.

Blog Entries
    I like to buy wholesale by the bolt, that way i always have enough. If I am buying for a specific project, I buy at least a yard more than I need, but I too am a contender for the same title.

I only buy for a specific project. That doesn't mean one that I am working on or one that I am starting. However, if I fall in love with a particular fabric, like the feature fabric on the Romance collection by Tina higgins Designs for VIP by Cranston (and not any of the rest of the collection) I will get that one 2 or 3 yards at full price and then hunt and search for other fabrics as I c an find them to go along with them. It may take a year or more for me to assemble exactly what I want. When I spread it out over that long a time, if I pay full price for many of the fabrics it's not too bad. My quilts take a year or more each for me to make.That's design and contruction time after I have the fabric. I'm slow! LOL!!
    Last edited by TanyaL; 03-02-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    When I first started quilting I binge bought fat quarters. Now I buy with a specific project in mind and always at least a yard more than I'll need - sometimes I need a wide margin for errors! But, if I see a fabric that I love I'll buy 3-4 yards of it - unfortunately that happens way too often.

I usually buy 3 yards.
    Mazda

Blog Entries
    One of the first things I ask myself is how I would use the fabric; in a block, for sashing, backing, or borders and what size of quilt you would want to make. A block 1 yd of each fabric (this all depends on how many blocks are in your quilt and how many different fabrics you would want), sashing 2 yd, backing at least 4.5 to 5 yd, and borders 2.5 yd. All this would make a lap to twin size quilt.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I am very new to this craft also. I started out buying fat quarters too. (I think trying to build a stash quick) But is really not enough for a big project .....so now I buy at least 3 yards at time or if it is a really good sale and I really like it I usually buy 6 yards. I am really good at buying fabric.....making a quilt....not so much.

I'm not buying anymore just got 3 large totes of fabric from my brother from my sister-in-law who past away earlyer this past year. It is a mix of quilting fabric, silk, saten, knits etc. Most of it is 3 to 6 yards and lots of scraps. Much of it is vintage fabric from the 40's and 50's.

I'm cheap so I generally only buy for a project. If I don't have a project in mind, I will tend towards buying a FQ pack or layer cake or something like that. If I am not buying pre-cut, I will probably only buy a yard if it's a good sale. I know I should buy more, but I just can't afford to spend the money. I can usually get a whole quilt out of a yard by adding other fabrics.

Cheers!
    Rachel

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I buy WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much and I know it...

My rule of thumb is:
    If I like it, I buy one yard...
    if I love it, I buy 3-5 yards...
    If I cant live without it, I buy the whole bolt...
    ( I do that alot !!!)

I buy what I need for an up and coming project,usually in 3yd increments. My stash seems to be growing, and I am using some from my stash lately. I sometimes buy 108" fabric, and whatever is left over for another project.
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

Depends on how well I like it. If I have a project in mind I'll get what I need for that and get an extra yard or 2 for something else. I've done that since I started sewing to get my stash built up. And now its built up alright. I'm almost stashed out of my sewing room. haha. If I don't have a project in mind I'll get a couple of yards but it all depends on the fabric. If its a neutral and I think it will go with lots of stuff I'll buy about 3 yards.
    Kim

Blog Entries
    I buy fabric I like, and have started going to Paducah a lot to go to Handcocks of Paducah, (not the chain store) I hit the rement table of baticks and just grag what ever hits my fancy,1/2 yard to just over a yard. I'll find some thing to do with them, no problem, also get lots of wide backing that way.
    dare to dream

If I see a whole collection that I love, I will purchase small amounts of each print from 1/4 to 1 yard. Then I will look to see which one of the prints I would use for a border, binding or any other larger part of the quilt and purchase from 2-4 yards. If it is just one fabric that I see and fall in love with I usually purchase 2-3 yards. I have done this when ordering online also. There are a great many fabric stores online who have a half yard minimum but if you ask, most will cut you
    1/4-1/3 yard pieces when they know you are taking all of the collection plus some larger pieces.

I don't normally buy fabric just coz it's pretty....I have to have a specific project in mind. But....when I do buy fabric, I always buy at least one yard over what I will need coz you never know what little accessories you might want to make to match the quilt. All that being said, I will buy basic solid colors (white, black, red, etc.) ahead if they are on sale or I have a 50% off coupon....same goes for batting and thread. As for quantity, I will buy as much as I can afford of the basics, with 3-4 yards a minimum. It would be great to have a huge stash to pick from when you want to make a quilt....but fabrics that you think are great today may not look so great tomorrow and be totally out of style in the coming months. That is my reason for not buying much ahead.

Way to much. I buy 3 yards if I like it 5 if I love it and like Debbie.JJ I buy prints and have to go looking for solids when I start a project.

Just the other day I saw another quote. "She who dies with the most fabric isn't quilting fast enough." LoveLove it!
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
    I need to clarify, I'm somewhat new to this obsession of quilting, too. So when I see some fabric that I'd like to make a quilt from someday, I never know how much I'm gonna need for whatever pattern I decide on. That's why I buy too much. By the way, I'm a contender for the top spot in "She who dies with the most fabric, WINS".

Blog Entries
    My usual cut is 1 yard. If I'm pretty sure I will want to use the fabric as a border, I buy 3 yards. The only time I buy more yardage than that is if I want to use the fabric for a backing. (I should mention that I buy almost all my fabric when it is on sale at a local fabric outlet, which means batiks are about $7 a yard. When I need a lot of yardage for muslin, applique background, etc. I usually purchase that from either fabric.com or from Hancock's of Paducah when they have their annual sale. I don't buy much fabric at $12/yard!)

The 1 yard cuts of batiks I have are becoming a nice stash, plus they fold nicely for storage by color.

I have found over time that I really don't care much for fat quarters. If I love the fabric, it's not enough and I am afraid of using it all up by cutting into it. If I don't love the fabric, it sits around way too long because it doesn't suit any of my projects. The 1-yard cuts work well for me because I have enough of the fabric that I'm not afraid to use it, but I don't end up with yards of it 10 years later (and I have some of that) after my taste in fabric has changed.

I usually buy 1 yard pieces of fabrics that call to me. Sometimes I'll run across a fabric that I think will make a great backing and buy 2 yards of it (I make square 48" x 48" quilts). If I'm buying the 1 yard and it turns out that it's the end of the bolt, then I will buy the entire piece. This method of purchasing sometimes means that I'm totally out of a fabric that I've decided to use for sashing and need to run back to the wholesale fabric warehouse where I do most of my shopping. And after I've enlisted the help of the owner, not being able to find it, he then says "why didn't you buy enough in the first place?" and I've had to explain that a lot of us buy fabric with no clue what we're going to do with it.

At this point, it's a darn good thing I have a large stash because I was laid off from my job this week and have been able to spend my time making perfect applique circles for some future project.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    When I started I would be skimpy and buy two yards. I would have to hunt down the same fabric to buy more / b

Blog Entries
    When I started I would be skimpy and buy two yards. I would have to hunt down the same fabric to buy more. So now I buy 3 yards and that works good.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast