Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much room would you like on the right side of your sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-room-would-you-like-right-side-your-sewing-machine-t258594.html)

quiltingcandy 12-22-2014 03:05 PM

I guess it depends on how you look at your machine. If you are sitting and sewing on your machine the space on they right, you really don't need much space and I personally would stick with the least amount. But then if you use this space to the right for ironing and cutting, etc. while you are sewing then the larger number would be great.

If you are standing in front of your machine and looking at it, then the space on the right would be where you are sewing and the extra space is great because it holds to what you are working on.

gale 12-22-2014 03:07 PM

I just use my cutting table for this. Or the area in front of my machine. I guess in your case I'd make it as big as possible.

Jan in VA 12-22-2014 03:18 PM

More than I've got!!:D

Jan in VA

suern3 12-22-2014 03:32 PM

I'm mainly wanting space to the left and in back of my machine for supporting quilts for FMQ. Also, like an "L" shape to my left which I have to add by using another table. But, on the other hand, I say get all the "real estate" you can for the set up that works for you!

QuiltE 12-22-2014 03:59 PM

I'm like the others, thinking little space to the right ... lots to the left and behind.

IF you already knows what works for YOU .... then measure it up and you will have your answer!!
And more accurately than any of the rest of us will ever guess.

RugosaB 12-22-2014 06:07 PM

I have 18" and like it, 6" more would be better, BUT not if it meant sacrificing inches on the left.

DOTTYMO 12-22-2014 11:02 PM

I would put larger size as I put my ironing board on that side so it doesn't get mixed in with the quilt on the left.

justflyingin 12-23-2014 01:28 AM

I need about 10" on the right and as much as I can get on the left of the machine.

maminstl 12-23-2014 04:32 AM

My sewing cabinet only has about 6 inches or so on the right, which is fine for my pins, scissors, whatever I need. I do have a drawer cabinet right next to that which is handy for all the other junk that I like to keep nearby. A bowl with my most used feet, a few other pairs of scissors, my hemostat, ripper, small ruler - marker etc. I don't need that space for actual sewing - that is all to my left.

Nilla 12-23-2014 04:37 AM

I have about 6 inches on the base table, but then I have a little piece which is about another 6 inches,that flips up, so 1 foot all together. I use it for my drink, my pins, my notion carrier, scissors and any sewn but waiting to be pressed pieces that I've clipped off my chain.

On on the left I have a lot of space. When I pull out the top drawer I can cover it with anither piece made for that purpose so I'm essentially sitting inside an "L" to sew. This gives me lots of space to spread out whatever im working on. I also have a lot of space behind,the machine because another wing in back flips up.