Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much are you willing to pay for a pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-you-willing-pay-pattern-t279830.html)

wordpaintervs 06-22-2016 06:42 PM

rarely pay for a pattern but get 3 magazines and going to cut down to 1 next time. I have bought a few used like new and one recently that was brand new. Sesonal Appliques was title.

joe'smom 06-22-2016 07:26 PM

I have my eye on some Sue Daley patterns that are over $100. I think I would pay that if I was ready to make the pattern, but so far, I've only purchased patterns in the $9-$15 range.

Tom W 06-22-2016 08:28 PM

It all depends... I will happily pay more for patterns that contain more information, like sizing and block measurements and for good color photos. One size patterns I max out at $7-10 depending on reputation of author or clarity of information.

TeresaA 06-22-2016 09:03 PM

The prices of patterns these days has inspired me to learn to use drawing programs and draw my own. I know the level of work involved in creating patterns. However I simply can't afford the ones I want. I'm from an era when $10 for a pattern was expensive. The prices these days have exceeded inflation. I easily do traditional quilts and some that are based on patterns in books, and now I have the opportunity to explore shapes for more intricate quilts. I guess I'm thankful that I have to develop my own things. It's a more creative process.

quiltingcandy 06-22-2016 09:04 PM

Guess it depends on the pattern, Judy Niemeyer sells very expensive patterns but they are paper piecing patterns and you get the paper pieces in that total. I just bought a pattern for $28.00 at a LQS which included the directions and it had some foundation pieces to stabilize the design.

Claire123 06-22-2016 09:09 PM

Tote bag patterns - usually $9 - 12. I don't buy many quilt or block patterns. Usually I just get them if I am taking a class.

DOTTYMO 06-22-2016 09:57 PM

IT depends on the pattern format and complexity. I purchase from US and am willing to pay high postage if I want the pattern. Just purchased from Australia at a cost of £13.31 British pound.

justflyingin 06-22-2016 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by btiny36 (Post 7583746)
.. and one more thing....I know it's still the same amount of work....but why isn't there a better deal on pdf patterns...

I think it is simple. There is way more profit in a pdf than in a printed pattern. There has to be.

justflyingin 06-22-2016 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaA (Post 7584429)
The prices these days have exceeded inflation. I easily do traditional quilts and some that are based on patterns in books, and now I have the opportunity to explore shapes for more intricate quilts. I guess I'm thankful that I have to develop my own things. It's a more creative process.

I think you speak the truth. it is simple. More and more people are looking to make a lot of money off of patterns. They believe that "too cheap" means you don't value your work. So, put a high price on it and see how many people "value your work" along with you.

But it is true...quilting patterns that involve nothing more than a pdf are a terrible deal when they get to be more than $10. There is no, absolutely no work involved with the printing, distribution, shipping costs, manufacturing costs, etc. They should not be as expensive as a printed one.

Ones that involve paper piecing or applique are a different matter--I'm considering paying about $70-80 for a Judy Niemeyer one - but it is a queen size paper pieced pattern.

paoberle 06-23-2016 03:25 AM

There is so much free stuff out there, I rarely buy patterns. It has to be one that I really love and keep thinking about. $10-12 is probably my max.