Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much are you willing to pay for a pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-you-willing-pay-pattern-t279830.html)

annette1952 06-23-2016 09:59 AM

I don't buy patterns too often either because I'm on a tight budget also. Sometimes though if I love the pattern I will try to get it. I did pay $20.00 for a pattern last year. It was a cat quilt for my GD & all 12 blocks were appliqued cats & a lot of other applique on it. So it was well worth the money. Lots of work went into designing that pattern. That was a big exception for me though buying that pattern. I am making it for my GD graduation. She is a cat lover. We are having her open house July 24th & I'm almost done with it. I get most of my ideas free online & one of my favorites of all time is MSQC

Jcarpentier 06-23-2016 10:15 AM

I am on a very tight budget like a lot of you but am contemplating buying the Gypsy Wife quilt pattern for around $30. I really like it. But I do not buy patterns at full price very often.

Bren 06-23-2016 11:03 AM

Most of the patterns I've bought have been in the $9 - 12 range at quilt shows. Some have been used, but several are languishing in a file drawer making me feel guilty, lol. Having said that, I too, believe in rewarding talented designers by purchasing their products.

Jingle 06-23-2016 12:42 PM

I don't buy patterns any more. I have lots of quilt books and make one out of them or I make from Jenny Doan's Tutorials or I make them up.

ontheriver 06-23-2016 05:07 PM

I don't buy too many pattern as I have many books that were given to me and there are so many free ones online. I was also gifted with lots of patterns, many are McKenna Ryan, which I haven't made yet. I did buy the fancy forest pattern as I loved it and was able to use a coupon. I just received 124.00 credit from the Amazon kindle store due to a class action and yesterday I bought and downloaded 8 quilt books, all free. What a treat. I see too many patterns being sold that are just variations on traditional patterns which really bugs me.

quiltingshorttimer 06-23-2016 09:46 PM

I take several quilting mags and seem to be able to find a pattern in most that are interesting. I also use EQ7 to "draw" my own. But I will purchase a pattern if I like it and I wouldn't want to figure out the yardage and the method of putting it together. But I do think whether I would use it again (same with books I purchase) before I buy. I've only bought one kit--the Jaybird Gravity (which is waiting for me!) as I like to pick my own colors and fabrics.

wbfrog 06-24-2016 04:34 AM

If it a pattern I really want the highest that I paid was $12.95, I do not do this offend I normally get free patterns.

LindaJ 06-24-2016 04:42 AM

If it goes beyond $10 I usually try to find something close online for free.

DJ 06-24-2016 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7583776)
I usually buy a pattern that I know I can figure it out on my own but I want to know the method or technique the designer has used to make it easier and less frustrating. That is worth the price of the pattern or book.

I have had the opposite experience. I purchase a pattern hoping that the designer has made it easy and find the directions so convoluted that I end up figuring out an easier way myself. I know some people have trouble following written directions in a pattern, but I'm not one of those people. I recently purchased a pattern that ended up having paper pieced bear claw blocks. I felt that would be a waste of fabric for a fairly easily constructed block, so I ended up doing it differently. Waste of money for the pattern, since I didn't end up using the alternating block either.

I have another pattern-in-waiting that I'm sure I will end up re-figuring to make it easier. Another waste of money.

I have purchased applique patterns though that have been very useful to me.