Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how would you handle this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-handle-t98362.html)

lalaland 02-10-2011 07:14 PM

I think you have been more than fair with this gal and hope it all turns out well. If she does truly have a buyer for the quilt, it will be half your work as well and I'm sure you want the quilt, and your contribution to it, represented in the best possible condition. We've all gotten ourselves in fixes like this, we just become wiser as we go along.

Jeanne Fauss 02-10-2011 07:18 PM

That's the way I feel about it. It is better to finish it well since you are doing half the work here....and you started the process. Its amazing the quilt got finished without all the pressing, etc. It could have been frustrating as heck for her. I know pressing helps soooo much. But she needs alot more guidance yet if you care about her at all.

PattyS 02-10-2011 07:47 PM

I am glad to see this topic come up as I have found myself in a situation not quite as bad as daisyboo9. I wish I could just learn to say NO! I am a newbie when it comes to long arm quilting and need lots of practice before I start quilting for others.

madamekelly 02-10-2011 08:04 PM

Former doormat, to 'want to be' former doormat...

Just a quick question, who does all YOUR work for you? Take it back and tell her you can't quilt it until it is ready. Once it is in her hands, explain what isn't finished (or, better yet, give her type written list of what is undone). Tell her you did some of it to show her. Smile kindly, and WALK AWAY. You have paid enough for this quilt.

Repeat after me, "I am quilter, hear me roar"!

{HUGS}

newbee3 02-10-2011 08:09 PM

I would inform her she needs to pay for the fabric and let her do the pressing and trimming and get someone else to quilt it for her.

jojosnana 02-10-2011 08:12 PM

With friends like that, you surely don't need any enemies.......I feel sorry for you. You have been a wonderful friend, you just didn't get one in return.

Lucy90 02-10-2011 10:02 PM

I would give it back to her and tell her you can't quilt it and she will have to take it some where else. Also I would tell her that as long as I put most of the material into the quilt when she gets paid my charge is?? No one needs an acquaintance/friend like her.

Momsmurf 02-10-2011 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I just don't uderstand people.
Unless she is a really good friend: I would give it back to her and tell her that it cannot be quilted on the rented machines. It has too many issues. Then I would have way to many things that I have to do and simply cannot find the time to quilt it. Let her find a way to get it quilted by someone else.

I agree...
Has she ever mentioned paying you for your fabric stash that she used?
I would suggest having her find a long arm quilter to do it for her. (She might just learn something from a "stranger")
I had a neighbor who always came to me for little hemming jobs. She always offered to pay for it but I generally refused since it was a small job. When I started feeling like I was the "go to seamstress" I decided that with the next request I would direct her to a cleaners I use whose wife was a sewing instructor in Korea and now did repairs and alterations in her shop. It wasn't long before I had that opportunity and have not regretted a moment of it since.

GailG 02-11-2011 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by merry
Return the quilt to your "friend" & tell her you can't quilt it with your present machine. Suggest a LQS & let them deal with her.

I like this solution! Period!! Also-- remind her that part of the profit should be yours because most of the fabric was yours.

I may sound "tough" but I find myself in the "doormat" position. People who don't sew think that if a person sews they can whip up things like magic. I have yet another bag full of school uniform pants (hand-me-downs no less) to be cut and hemmed. I told her that I don't have time to alter these pants for her grandson, but she politely said, "I know, but I'll just leave them here for when you do have the time." Uuuffgh!!
So---the bag is plopped on the floor under my sewing machine and will be there for quite a while.

auntmarie 02-11-2011 04:05 AM

Give it back and tell her to take more quilting classes and do it herself!!!!!!!!