Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you have responded? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-have-responded-t101553.html)

sherriequilts 02-20-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
You sound like a nice person and I feel badly for you that your friend is making you feel uncomfortable and pressing the issue. Friends shouldn't do that to other friends, plain and simple:< It's sad that a friendship may be lost for less than $100.

Seems to me it might be worth $100 to know what kind of "friend" she really is. Don't think you are losing as much as she is losing a real friend with integrity. You rock in my book.

Jill 02-20-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by grugirl
All of you woman have the right response... honesty is always the best policy and when she said Oh Goody you have it.. I will get it from you.. she was using you. That is not a friend in my eyes either. Sharing is one thing but respect comes first. A true friend would not try to use you to get something that she had no right to in the first place and that was illegal. I say, tell her No and if it does ruin the friendship, she wasn't worth having as a friend. I hate when people do that and say they want or will take my things like they have the right. It is just not respectful or ethical.

Ditto

Annaquilts 02-20-2011 08:57 PM

You are having a confrontation already. Tell her it is copy righted and that you are unable to give her a copy unless you have the author's permission to do so.

BETTY62 02-20-2011 08:59 PM

I would stick to my principles and not backdown. If she gets mad and it relults in the end of your friendship, consider it her loss and move foreward as she wasn't really your frend. Friends respect each other and what she is doing isn't showing you any respect.

Nanamoms 02-20-2011 09:01 PM

Oooh, but wouldn't this put your designer friend on the spot, too?? It took me a long time to understand that I can say "NO" and not have to explain myself. It's harder when you're caught off guard, though. I always think of the best things to say a day later! :)

Originally Posted by sarge1

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
you are both friends of the designer? So she's asking one friend to help cheat another friend? My oh my.

OK ... invite her over. Invite the designer friend at the same time. Tell the designer friend to bring a copy because the other friend wants it. When the designer arrives it's up to her if she feels like giving it away or selling it.

Ta da.

LOVE this idea! I doubt she's have the guts to ask the designer for a free copy, or ask you for a free copy in front of the designer. Put her on the spot; that's what she did to you, so turn it back on her.

bamamama 02-20-2011 09:10 PM

The designer is my friend, that's how she earns her living, sorry I cannot help you! End of story!.

PWinston 02-20-2011 09:37 PM

You've gotten some great advice/comments re. how to handle the situation with your "mutual acquaintance". Would you mind sharing a picture of your "Twelve Days of Christmas" BOM? That might generate some business for your designer friend to sell more patterns.

Quiltforme 02-20-2011 09:52 PM

Get a copy of the copy right laws and your friends business card and hand it to here and leave it at that.

Tilladare 02-20-2011 10:15 PM

It's wonderful to know there are so many people that are better than me! If a friend of mine tried to put me in a spot like this, I would tell them to pick it up later in the week, and use the intervening time to "adjust" the pattern. But then I have been accused of being less than saintly at times!

Flying_V_Goddess 02-20-2011 10:20 PM

If it were me, after the point where she wasn't taking the hint I would of bluntly said, "My close friend is the designer and I still had to pay for it. Why should you get it for free? And it wouldn't be fair or right to her to just give away her copyrighted design."