Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you quilt this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-quilt-t258993.html)

MargeD 01-01-2015 11:33 AM

I think I would do diagonal stitching on this one; depending on the size of the squares, you could do every 2nd or 3rd squares, and if you wanted to come back in the other direction to make an "X" through the quilt. Great quilt.

ManiacQuilter2 01-01-2015 11:54 AM

I would either stitch it diagonally or in the ditch.

Michellesews 01-01-2015 02:27 PM

Love your explanation. That makes so much sense!

QUOTE=Jeanne S;7028567]When I do straight line stitching, I do it this way: first I stitch the center line down the length of the quilt whether it is vertical or diagonal corner to corner. Then I do the second lines about 6 or 8 inches on either side of the center. I continue this way to the outside edges of the quilt. These widely spaced lines stabilize all the layers together. Then I go back and add more lines between the original wide spaced lines until I get the final spacing/density I want. I usually don't crosshatch, but if I did I would do the first set of wide spaced lines in both directions before going back and filling in the rest. I usually do straight lines 1" apart.[/QUOTE]

Auntevie 01-01-2015 04:27 PM

Sorry, I have no ideas but the pattern with the colors and fabrics is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

margecam52 01-02-2015 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Susan7639 (Post 7028453)
Straight lines on domestic or try big stitch for first time. Any ideas please?[ATTACH=CONFIG]504268[/ATTACH]

I agree with the others, the quilting will not show much on this quilt. Let the quilt/fabric be the beauty (love the colors!) here. If you are using a solid on the back & want to be able to reverse it to show quilting...then I'd do an allover panto design...but for me...I'd do straight or diagonal lines.

quiltqueen61 01-02-2015 05:59 AM

just love the pattern and the fabric...what pattern is this??? I think a big swirly pattern on the top would be lovely...

sewnsewsue 01-02-2015 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7028567)
When I do straight line stitching, I do it this way: first I stitch the center line down the length of the quilt whether it is vertical or diagonal corner to corner. Then I do the second lines about 6 or 8 inches on either side of the center. I continue this way to the outside edges of the quilt. These widely spaced lines stabilize all the layers together. Then I go back and add more lines between the original wide spaced lines until I get the final spacing/density I want. I usually don't crosshatch, but if I did I would do the first set of wide spaced lines in both directions before going back and filling in the rest. I usually do straight lines 1" apart.

I'm taking the machine quilting/walking foot class with JGehring and this is exactly how she tells us to do it.

AnnT 01-02-2015 11:59 AM

I'd do straight or diagonal lines.