Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you quilt this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-quilt-t258993.html)

Susan7639 12-31-2014 12:28 PM

How would you quilt this?

1 Attachment(s)
Straight lines on domestic or try big stitch for first time. Any ideas please?[ATTACH=CONFIG]504268[/ATTACH]

quiltingcandy 12-31-2014 12:38 PM

I love your quilt - if it were mine I would do the diagonal lines. The fabric is so busy I think any fancy quilting would be lost. But if you intend for it to be reversible then maybe a more fanciful quilting would be better.

Jeanne S 12-31-2014 12:41 PM

Beautiful quilt. I would do simple straight lines as I think piecing and fabrics are the focus of this beauty.

Susan7639 12-31-2014 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7028460)
I love your quilt - if it were mine I would do the diagonal lines. The fabric is so busy I think any fancy quilting would be lost. But if you intend for it to be reversible then maybe a more fanciful quilting would be better.

Thank you! I wonder if I could get away with quoting every other row hmmmm
ps this was a stash buster

luvspaper 12-31-2014 12:58 PM

I'd either do diagonals OR do straight through the middle of the squares ....

But you could also do small curves corner to corner -- but that's a lot of curves! But you can do them in a linear fashion so you aren't having to start and stop any more than straight lines!

Or you could do a larger curvier pattern overall in a thread that blends (say grey) so it doesn't take away from the piecing. But I would do much custom otherwise, because it will get lost!

Beautiful quilt by the way!

Susan7639 12-31-2014 01:32 PM

Can anyone tell me if I wanted to diagonal stitch this in both directions would I do one full set of lines in one direction first then do the other direction? Would that distort it?

QuiltnNan 12-31-2014 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7028460)

this was my first thought, too

Jeanne S 12-31-2014 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Susan7639 (Post 7028530)
Can anyone tell me if I wanted to diagonal stitch this in both directions would I do one full set of lines in one direction first then do the other direction? Would that distort it?

When I do straight line stitching, I do it this way: first I stitch the center line down the length of the quilt whether it is vertical or diagonal corner to corner. Then I do the second lines about 6 or 8 inches on either side of the center. I continue this way to the outside edges of the quilt. These widely spaced lines stabilize all the layers together. Then I go back and add more lines between the original wide spaced lines until I get the final spacing/density I want. I usually don't crosshatch, but if I did I would do the first set of wide spaced lines in both directions before going back and filling in the rest. I usually do straight lines 1" apart.

maryb119 12-31-2014 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7028464)
Beautiful quilt. I would do simple straight lines as I think piecing and fabrics are the focus of this beauty.

I totally agree. Let the fabrics shine thru on this one.

Dina 12-31-2014 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Susan7639 (Post 7028466)
Thank you! I wonder if I could get away with quoting every other row hmmmm
ps this was a stash buster

I think that would work. Check with the instructions on the batting you use. That will give you the information you need. I think most batting is every 3-4 inches and Warm and Natural is 10 inches apart...

Dina