Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How would you quilt this?

How would you quilt this?

Straight lines on domestic or try big stitch for first time. Any ideas please?Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2494
Size:  1.82 MB

I love your quilt - if it were mine I would do the diagonal lines. The fabric is so busy I think any fancy quilting would be lost. But if you intend for it to be reversible then maybe a more fanciful quilting would be better.

Beautiful quilt. I would do simple straight lines as I think piecing and fabrics are the focus of this beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I love your quilt - if it were mine I would do the diagonal lines. The fabric is so busy I think any fancy quilting would be lost. But if you intend for it to be reversible then maybe a more fanciful quilting would be better.
    Thank you! I wonder if I could get away with quoting every other row hmmmm
    ps this was a stash buster

I'd either do diagonals OR do straight through the middle of the squares ....

But you could also do small curves corner to corner -- but that's a lot of curves! But you can do them in a linear fashion so you aren't having to start and stop any more than straight lines!

Or you could do a larger curvier pattern overall in a thread that blends (say grey) so it doesn't take away from the piecing. But I would do much custom otherwise, because it will get lost!

Beautiful quilt by the way!

Can anyone tell me if I wanted to diagonal stitch this in both directions would I do one full set of lines in one direction first then do the other direction? Would that distort it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    this was my first thought, too
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan7639 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if I wanted to diagonal stitch this in both directions would I do one full set of lines in one direction first then do the other direction? Would that distort it?
    When I do straight line stitching, I do it this way: first I stitch the center line down the length of the quilt whether it is vertical or diagonal corner to corner. Then I do the second lines about 6 or 8 inches on either side of the center. I continue this way to the outside edges of the quilt. These widely spaced lines stabilize all the layers together. Then I go back and add more lines between the original wide spaced lines until I get the final spacing/density I want. I usually don't crosshatch, but if I did I would do the first set of wide spaced lines in both directions before going back and filling in the rest. I usually do straight lines 1" apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    Beautiful quilt. I would do simple straight lines as I think piecing and fabrics are the focus of this beauty.
    I totally agree. Let the fabrics shine thru on this one.

Thank you! I wonder if I could get away with quoting every other row hmmmm
    ps this was a stash buster
    I think that would work. Check with the instructions on the batting you use. That will give you the information you need. I think most batting is every 3-4 inches and Warm and Natural is 10 inches apart...

Dina

I say either straight line on a diagonal or loops. loops if you have a very plain fabric on the back and want more interest for that side.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Love your quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    When I do straight line stitching, I do it this way: first I stitch the center line down the length of the quilt whether it is vertical or diagonal corner to corner. Then I do the second lines about 6 or 8 inches on either side of the center. I continue this way to the outside edges of the quilt. These widely spaced lines stabilize all the layers together. Then I go back and add more lines between the original wide spaced lines until I get the final spacing/density I want. I usually don't crosshatch, but if I did I would do the first set of wide spaced lines in both directions before going back and filling in the rest. I usually do straight lines 1" apart.
    this is very helpful. Thank you!!

Depending on the size of your blocks and the type of batting I would quilt down the diagonal rows of gold squares only, perhaps a small curve along each side of the square, or if you want it to be simpler just a line down the diagonal. I would do it in both directions.
    If your sizes don't work for that then I would also Stitch the ditch around the five middle squares that make a cross.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My first quilt was straight on the diagonal. I used light adhesive painters tape as a guide. They also make the quilter's 1/4" but see if you can find the painter's 1/4". Or what suits you best but it was easy to use and no adhesive. I still washed lightly before giving it as a gift.

Blog Entries
    With the others who suggested diagonal lines and skip every other row.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm looking at your quilt again. And wanted to tell you how pretty it was. You wouldn't even half to mark your quilt. Your lines are already there to follow no matter how you choose to quilt. You may want to baste but you could lightly spray that with starch. Let dry then quilt.

Beautiful quilt, no ideas on quilting.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Susan,
    I wish you lived in Michigan as we are having a lecture/class at our guild this month on this subject. One of our members who does longarm quilting is going to present. I am always stuck when it comes to this part of the process. It will be great. Good luck with your decision.
    Sharon

Susan, I LOVE your color and fabric choices. I would keep the quilting simple, maybe diagonal lines.

Power Poster
    I think I would do diagonal stitching on this one; depending on the size of the squares, you could do every 2nd or 3rd squares, and if you wanted to come back in the other direction to make an "X" through the quilt. Great quilt.

I would either stitch it diagonally or in the ditch.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Love your explanation. That makes so much sense!

QUOTE=Jeanne S;7028567]When I do straight line stitching, I do it this way: first I stitch the center line down the length of the quilt whether it is vertical or diagonal corner to corner. Then I do the second lines about 6 or 8 inches on either side of the center. I continue this way to the outside edges of the quilt. These widely spaced lines stabilize all the layers together. Then I go back and add more lines between the original wide spaced lines until I get the final spacing/density I want. I usually don't crosshatch, but if I did I would do the first set of wide spaced lines in both directions before going back and filling in the rest. I usually do straight lines 1" apart.[/QUOTE]
    Michelle Guadarrama

Sorry, I have no ideas but the pattern with the colors and fabrics is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Straight lines on domestic or try big stitch for first time. Any ideas please?Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2494
Size:  1.82 MB
    I agree with the others, the quilting will not show much on this quilt. Let the quilt/fabric be the beauty (love the colors!) here. If you are using a solid on the back & want to be able to reverse it to show quilting...then I'd do an allover panto design...but for me...I'd do straight or diagonal lines.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast