Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you quilt this ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-quilt-t270303.html)

bearisgray 09-22-2015 10:06 PM

I think the piecing is so strong on its own - I think stitch in the ditch with black thread along all the black pieces would be perfect.

Sometimes less is better! (IMO, of course.)

DOTTYMO 09-22-2015 10:34 PM

I did stitch in the ditch on all black sashing even in the blocks. It kept it looking like a stain glass window.

luana 09-23-2015 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7325291)
Please don't use white thread on this beautiful quilt! I would first SITD (every stinking seam, to quote Cindy Needham) and then determine whether the quilt needed more quilting. If so, I think I would stick to straight line stitching, either using black or matching the thread to the patches being quilted. Normally I would try to introduce curved lines to offset the strong lines of the design, but in this case I think more straight lines would be ideal.

I think we both took the same Craftsy class, In my sleep - "every stinking seam" :-)

ManiacQuilter2 09-23-2015 04:33 AM

I would also stitch in the ditch with black thread on each side of the black fabric. That should be enough quilting for this wall hanging. Very pretty: looks like stain glass.

carolynjo 09-24-2015 05:03 AM

I'll be watching to see what you decide to do on this lovely quilt. I love stained-glass type blocks and yours look great. Post again when you have finished quilting it. I would keep my thread black also, not white or yellow.

gmcsewer 09-24-2015 05:17 AM

I recently saw a quilt which had FMQ but with a design looking like mountain peaks staggered at the peak and with a thread the same color as the fabric but a different shade lighter or darker. I think it would look nice on this quilt if you think it needs more quilting. (which I think it does from the picture. Don't go over the black, just inside each segment. I do have pictures on my cell phone and wil try to post if you would be interested)

piker6ca 09-24-2015 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by gmcsewer (Post 7326440)
I recently saw a quilt which had FMQ but with a design looking like mountain peaks staggered at the peak and with a thread the same color as the fabric but a different shade lighter or darker. I think it would look nice on this quilt if you think it needs more quilting. (which I think it does from the picture. Don't go over the black, just inside each segment. I do have pictures on my cell phone and wil try to post if you would be interested)

Yes would like to see them.
Thanks
gmcsewer

janedee 09-24-2015 07:44 AM

I won't offer any more advice on the quilting - all the previous threads have given you lots of ideas I'm sure - just wanted to say for a 'newbie' quilter that is one very good quilt - love your colour choices a very big well done.

klswift 09-24-2015 07:44 AM

Because it is so angular, I would probably do a wavy pattern thru the sashing. Then a decorative stitch thru the black areas within each block. I would probably use black thread, but if the backing is solid black, I might use something a bit different in the bobbin. Nice looking - for a beginner, you did a great job. I love to start my students on this type of quilt - maximum impact with minimum matching!!!!

FiveseveN 09-24-2015 09:40 AM

I agree with SITD on the sashing, and along all the black lines.

Then I would either leave it if I looks done or use a variegated thread similar to the colors randomly in the colors. Nothing too heavy, but different in each to give the fabric more of a glass look, simulating the pigment swirls in many stained glass pieces.