Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you quilt this ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-quilt-t270303.html)

piker6ca 09-22-2015 06:13 PM

How would you quilt this ?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone
I have been looking at this and not sure how to quilt it.
Now remember i,m a new quilter so nothing fancy .
Was thinking of using invisible thread and doing a ditch stick just on the black parts.
Then i thought of white but i,m not sure if it would stand out to much.
Or what about sewing down the centre of the black with white thread.
Thanks for the help

Tom

Feathers-N-Fur 09-22-2015 06:37 PM

If your machine has decorative stitches, I'd use black thread and do a decorative stitch through the middle of each black strip. But first stitch in the ditch around each sashing strip and do a decorative stitch through the middle of those too.

quiltingeileen 09-22-2015 06:46 PM

Very pretty! I agree with the stitch in the ditch with black thread.

sewbizgirl 09-22-2015 07:10 PM

One easy technique I use when nothing else seems to 'click', is to sew wavy vertical lines down the length of the quilt, about 1.5" apart. In the case of your quilt, I'd use black thread.

sewbizgirl 09-22-2015 07:14 PM

I just had another idea... using a walking foot you could do angled lines over each block, like the angles in your piecing, only a different pattern--black thread. Keep within each block and then do a decorative stitch in one of your colors, like a curlique or something, in the sashing and outer border. Can't explain it very well, but I see it in my mind and it would look really cool with this design.

cathyvv 09-22-2015 07:17 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. it's looks great now, but will look awesome when you're finished.

Annaquilts 09-22-2015 07:51 PM

I would use invisible thread and stipple all over. It will be quilted nicely and still show the pattern.

dunster 09-22-2015 08:28 PM

Please don't use white thread on this beautiful quilt! I would first SITD (every stinking seam, to quote Cindy Needham) and then determine whether the quilt needed more quilting. If so, I think I would stick to straight line stitching, either using black or matching the thread to the patches being quilted. Normally I would try to introduce curved lines to offset the strong lines of the design, but in this case I think more straight lines would be ideal.

Jeanne S 09-22-2015 08:52 PM

I agree---no white thread! I would also use black thread, SID on every seam. Then I would go back and matchstick straight lines 1/4" apart on all the black parts only. No quilting on the colors for me. Very pretty!

Bree123 09-22-2015 09:47 PM

Invisible thread is more difficult to work with than 100% cotton thread. Learned that the hard way, of course. If you pressed your seams to one side, a 50wt 100% cotton (I love Aurifil brand, but if you're looking to save money, 100% cotton Gutermann will work okay; Aurifil blends in more with the fabric because it has 2 strands instead of the standard 3) thread in black would hide your quilting the best with SITD.

That sashing -- with a black thread -- would also be a great place to practice free motion quilting. The only way to learn new skills is to start doing them. I think stained glass quilts are the ideal quilt for trying out different types of free motion stitches, but that's up to you. I think a pale yellow could look really nice, or you could use an invisible thread for that. It won't show up that much, so you could make plenty of mistakes & most people would never notice. The downside with the invisible thread I've found is with unsewing; I need to go one size up on my needles & on top of that I struggle a bit more with picking it out. But maybe that was just the brand I chose. I don't know. Just make sure not to put invisible thread in the bobbin (learned that the hard way, too).