Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HQ Sweet Sixteen arriving next week - freight questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hq-sweet-sixteen-arriving-next-week-freight-questions-t247637.html)

LyndaOH 05-31-2014 12:52 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! So far I've been able to line up a furniture dolly and a wonderful friend and her strong husband and I'll call the dealer on Monday. HQ suggested I have the dealer send someone, but they are pretty far away. I also have a local furniture store where I've purchased from before that has a dock and might be willing to accept delivery and then deliver to me on their smaller truck. I'm definitely making progress!

Thanks!

And Kathy (Quilting Vagabond) that is my situation also. I could make room for a longarm by emptying my living room, but that's not really what I want to do, so this is a great solution. I too am comfortable with FMQ on my home machine so I'm just looking for more space and consistency in stitches. I did get the optional stitch regulator and have recently seen tools that make it even easier to use.

Good luck to you!

Jeanne S 05-31-2014 01:34 PM

The only time I had to deal with something like this was when I had some furniture delivered from a manufacturer and I had to hire an "expediter" to take delivery from the long haul shipper, deliver it to my house, uncrate it in the garage and then set it up in my house. It cost a couple of hundred dollars but I did not have any other options and they did a great job.

pokeygirl 05-31-2014 05:43 PM

I've had some pretty big boxes delivered by UPS and they have always brought them through the front door and placed inside for me. I can't imagine having to take something off the truck myself. They always use a dolly to bring them in.

ann31039 05-31-2014 07:02 PM

The guys who delivered to me were great. We ordered my mother one of the lift recliners, it was delivered while I was at work with only my 12 yo and my mom at home. The driver unloaded it, brought it in the house and put it together. But this was a very rural place. Probably not everywhere is like that.

QuiltingVagabond 06-01-2014 07:21 AM

For clarification UPS Freight is delivered in a big truck, like a semi-trailer or large box truck, not the regular delivery trucks. They generally call ahead and make sure someone will be home and that there is room for the truck to turn around or get in and out of the neighborhood easily.

LyndaOH 06-02-2014 09:00 AM

These suggestions are really great! I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer now. I do live on a cul de sac, so I'd say that will also be an issue. I think my two most likely options are delivery to my local furniture store and using an expediter. Will let you all know!

Thanks!

CorgiNole 06-02-2014 09:10 AM

I wouldn't think the cul de sac would be too much of a problem, unless your neighbors leave a lot of stuff parked in the road. Ours is a small cul de sac, and I'm impressed by the vehicles that have been able to turn around in it. A larger truck might choose to back down the road (it is also a short cul de sac). For my house, it would be the steps into the house that were an issue. It looks like a great table. I hope you enjoy your SS16 as much as I enjoy mine.

Cheers, K

LyndaOH 06-02-2014 08:44 PM

I spoke with UPS Freight again today, and they are sending a smaller truck with a lift gate. They said the cul de sac will not be a problem. I'm having a friend come for delivery time and she's going to help me with it. She deals with shipments a lot and is bringing her dollies. While we're waiting, we'll be sewing! It's a win win!