Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/husbands-boyfrineds-such-regarding-quilting-t153879.html)

Annaquilts 09-18-2011 09:17 AM

Some of us come out of settings we don't know better and marry people that are from a similar setting. My husband is very supportive but some of that for me needing permission and him feeling he has the right to say something still lingers. It all takes time.

ptquilts 09-18-2011 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
It is a partnership but DH and I try to check with each other just incase the money is needed for the household. We don't have much so we try to spend wisely.

this. :thumbup:

clsurz 09-18-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Some of us come out of settings we don't know better and marry people that are from a similar setting. My husband is very supportive but some of that for me needing permission and him feeling he has the right to say something still lingers. It all takes time.

I still today sometimes say I was born in the wrong decade. I'm 65 and hubby is 70 and I can remember even as a young child and as a teenager than as a young adult refusing to conform to that type of mentality. And in the end I won. We have been married going on 36 years and fortunately for him he has messed up only about half a dozen times all these years regarding such manners.

Now off to quilt I go!

I'm also educating my granddaughters not to allow any man to control them and I'm teaching my grandson's not to abuse women mentally, verbally or physical and to have respect for one another.

I want them to be strong in character and do what is right for them and others.
:-)

Patty Patches 09-18-2011 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by New Quilter
{{{{{ standing ovation to you}}}}} Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

WAY TO GO SISTER!!!!!!!!!!can you come visit my dh? and dont forget the iron skillet

Liz aka Helen 09-18-2011 09:27 AM

Wow I'm really impressed with all off you, my mother in law was in a bad situation for 18 years, luckily it affected my husband correctly, promised himself that he would not be like that. His problem is he wants all of the goodies and we can't afford them.

Feathers-N-Fur 09-18-2011 09:27 AM

We have a joint checking account. Both of our paychecks go to the one account, then everything comes out for bills, then fun stuff. I would not spend more than $50 on any one thing without talking to him about it, but neither would he. He asks me when he wants a toy, and I ask him when I want a toy. It is OUR money, not mine or his.

QuiltnNan 09-18-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I have to admit I cringe every time I read "my husband LET me buy or do whatever"..... Anyone who LETS me do anything is in charge of me. And NO ONE is in charge of me, but me! It should be a partnership, not one person in control of another.

same here

Minnesewta-sam 09-18-2011 10:00 AM

You remind me of my (late) mother in SC. My dad was an alcoholic, but mom didn't take any crap and she too had a few cast iron pans. We never had alot of $$$, but I sure learned not to take any type of abuse from a man....And I would never have married my DH had he been a drinker or showed any type of abusive behavior. Now...he buys what he wants and I do the same. It works great that way! 28+ years now and I have no reason to ask permission to buy anything that brings me happiness as long as it doesn't involve a bank loan and I can find a place in the house for it.
Life is good!

sunni 09-18-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I have to admit I cringe every time I read "my husband LET me buy or do whatever"..... Anyone who LETS me do anything is in charge of me. And NO ONE is in charge of me, but me! It should be a partnership, not one person in control of another.

:thumbup:

Peckish 09-18-2011 10:04 AM

I must be very lucky, the situations described in this thread are totally foreign to me. My husband supports my hobby and will sacrifice things he wants so that I can have what I'd like. I strive to do the same for him. Enabling each other's hobbies makes for a happy marriage! :D