Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I blame all you quilters for what I said in walmart today!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-blame-all-you-quilters-what-i-said-walmart-today-t85793.html)

QM 12-30-2010 11:57 PM

Your quilt, your choice. Recently, a new member of our guild made a lovely quilt with scraps from her poly suitings. Not my choice, because I don't care for the feel, but it worked for her and she could afford it on a very limited income. She got lots of praise from the guild for her work, as she deserved.

Gramof6 12-31-2010 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
I think it's ok to be snobby about 100% cotton fabrics. It's what they used before there was polyester!

Ditto. So in a sense, you are just going back to what our ancestors used....cotton! :D Nuttin' wrong with that. :thumbup:

mjsylvstr 12-31-2010 04:47 AM

The lady asked for your advice and you gave it....and I think if this lady wants to be a quilter, you just gave her the beginning rule.

I wouldn't feel bad at all about your suggestions, no doubt she will be very happy with them for any of her future projects.

beautress 12-31-2010 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank

Originally Posted by raedar63

Originally Posted by kateyb
Just a comment: Quilters use what is available. The quilters of Gees Bend used old cloths because that was, in most cases, all they had. Use what you've got. I see that as the tradition.

Yep same here, that is one reason I don't post pics on here cause I use whatever comes my way.

Well, I am going to post a picture of my first quilt, a crazy quilt and if it offends those who use only the finest most expensive cottons...........oh well. Several of the fabrics used are blends. As a newbie I never even thought it would matter. My daughter who owns this quilt loves it so much that I am proud of it.

Fabulous effort, Mary. Thanks for sharing your lovely quilt here.

Ritacarl 01-01-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mommafank

Originally Posted by raedar63

Originally Posted by kateyb
Just a comment: Quilters use what is available. The quilters of Gees Bend used old cloths because that was, in most cases, all they had. Use what you've got. I see that as the tradition.

Yep same here, that is one reason I don't post pics on here cause I use whatever comes my way.

Well, I am going to post a picture of my first quilt, a crazy quilt and if it offends those who use only the finest most expensive cottons...........oh well. Several of the fabrics used are blends. As a newbie I never even thought it would matter. My daughter who owns this quilt loves it so much that I am proud of it.

I'm with you girl!! I used many different types of material in my tumbling blocks quilt. It looks fine. I quilt for a hobby and because I enjoy sewing. I don't plan on any quilt show in near or far future. Keep quilting and enjoy. I even think it is more fun to see what I can do with what I have or can pick up at a good price.
Rita

biscuitqueen 01-01-2011 03:12 PM

I would love to see some of those quilts made from different fabrics. I dont even think you would be able to tell with just a picture if you didnt say anything.

jojo47 01-04-2011 12:32 PM

I have really enjoyed reading this thread...and learning a lot from it. Thank you, everyone!