Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I can't believe I did this!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-cant-believe-i-did-t40106.html)

Lilaciris 03-20-2010 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gilla

Originally Posted by MollieSue
Good for you!!! Enjoy!!! :) :)
Where did you post your ad, if not on freecycle?

I sent you PM

I'm intetested in where you posted it, too

Gilla 03-20-2010 04:54 PM

I have been digging more. Much is not normal quilting cotton fabric (in my book). There is a bunch of flannel, heavier fabric, a lot of knit fabric what women's pant suits were made of years ago, pinks, blue and light green.

I am an ex Michigander from Coldwater, Branch County, and I would gladly send it, but the shipping cost would probably be more than the stuff is worth.

I put a "Wanted" ad on Craigslist in my area. I got that idea when searching ads on their NY page and ran into an ad that someone had placed there and from someone posting here several days ago about freecycle (which hasn't had any activity in our area since 2006).

craftybear 03-20-2010 07:49 PM

Wow, make a scrappy crazy quilt. Good luck with all of your fabrics and have fun.

You could always make quilts for the nursing homes, hospitals etc. Have fun!

Gilla 03-21-2010 11:13 AM

I had two more calls. One I'll go look at this evening, the other is pretty iffy. It was worth my try. I sorted through the fabrics. Lots of it is not for me, but my church found out from my friend and wants ALL of what I don't want for their charity quilts. I didn't call them, they called me.

If you have the intestinal fortitude to try this, do it (place your ad in your area)
. You may be surprised at the results.

Luv y'alll
Gilla

anglgrl 03-21-2010 11:23 AM

That sounds like fun Gilla I might do the same since fabric is so expensive. lol

Jois 03-21-2010 12:37 PM

Good Work, Gilla!

At some point in time it might "pay" to talk to the people at the unloading dock of the Salvation Army thrift shop(s).

They used to take rags and sell them to someone for recycling. Salvation Army got some money and the buyer recycled rags no one else could use.

Jois

Gilla 03-21-2010 04:58 PM

I gave 95% of this stuff to our local Lutheran church group who make quilts for the children's hospital and children's shelter here. They are doing a fantastic job and want to use these fabrics. I am sure the ladies will give what they can't use to
Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

Some of my quilts I have donated, one to the wounded warrior hospital at Brooke Army Medical, the other two to my church for a raffle to raise money for Haiti. The fabrics are being used for a good cause.

I guess you'll have to watch what you ask for, you might get it. Then what?

Boston1954 03-21-2010 05:25 PM

Ask and ye shall receive........

zz-pd 03-21-2010 08:46 PM

you are so lucky, enjoy your fabric. Penny

raksmum 03-21-2010 10:14 PM

The denim would be great for a raggy quilt with a flannel back. Have fun with all your fabric!