Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I can't believe I did this!!!!

Several days ago MiHolmes mentoned on this board about being able to get a bunch of free fabrics by running an ad..

Well, I thought I try that and ran an ad also. Not with freecycle.

I received four calls so far. The first wanted me to buy her scraps worth $200 for $100. I don't have $100 to put into someone else's scraps, two more had yarn & other things not related.

The last lady calling me wanted her garage emptied out and said she had cotton fabrics left over from something. I decided to go for that one and just got back.
    She wasn't kidding. I wound up with about 200# of cotton fabrics, a lot already cut into squares or shapes, ready to assemble. My WHOLE van was filled with fabrics----FREE (I am not kidding) and her husband put it all into the van for me and I didn't have to lift a finger.

There is no way in God's green acres that I can use it all. I belong to a guild and a group where we quilt together. They'll help. Even then it is more than we can use. How did she get all of this? Unbelievable!!!

It is here on my living room floor next to my sewing area. Wow!

If I don't write for a while, you know what I am doing. ----And the ad is still running.

Gilla

I'll post some pictures of this stuff when I get to take any.

That is great!! I might try that myself!! Congratulations on your big haul!!

Ditter

What a great windfall for you and your friends. No only did you get a lot of free fabric you also helped the woman clear out her garage. Now both of your are happy. May in Jersey

Congratulations on your big score.

Blog Entries
    I haven't a doubt about how she got so much fabric......

I have only looked at one box so far. It looks like the stuff came from some kind of clothing factory. Some of the stuff seems to be trims from cutting out patterns. There is still a lot of fabric left, but it isn't the type I want. There is a lot in there that I do like. So far I have found 3 jelly rolls in tact. There are lots and lots of single squares cut out. Even a whole bag of denim fabric that could be used in a quilt if someone wanted to cut it into shapes. Apparently that, too, is remnants of pattern trim, but enough to make some kind of denim quilt design. (Not my bag).
    I will sort out what I want to keep, give to my friends what they want, and the rest to Goodwill.

Blog Entries
    Good for you!!! Enjoy!!! :) :)
    Where did you post your ad, if not on freecycle?

Blog Entries
    Fantastic!!! Have a great time with it!!

Quote Originally Posted by MollieSue
    I sent you PM

Blog Entries
    Do I qualified as goodwill?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilla
    Quote Originally Posted by MollieSue
    I sent you PM
    I'm intetested in where you posted it, too

I have been digging more. Much is not normal quilting cotton fabric (in my book). There is a bunch of flannel, heavier fabric, a lot of knit fabric what women's pant suits were made of years ago, pinks, blue and light green.

I am an ex Michigander from Coldwater, Branch County, and I would gladly send it, but the shipping cost would probably be more than the stuff is worth.

I put a "Wanted" ad on Craigslist in my area. I got that idea when searching ads on their NY page and ran into an ad that someone had placed there and from someone posting here several days ago about freecycle (which hasn't had any activity in our area since 2006).

Blog Entries
    Wow, make a scrappy crazy quilt. Good luck with all of your fabrics and have fun.

You could always make quilts for the nursing homes, hospitals etc. Have fun!

I had two more calls. One I'll go look at this evening, the other is pretty iffy. It was worth my try. I sorted through the fabrics. Lots of it is not for me, but my church found out from my friend and wants ALL of what I don't want for their charity quilts. I didn't call them, they called me.

If you have the intestinal fortitude to try this, do it (place your ad in your area)
    . You may be surprised at the results.

Luv y'alll
    Gilla

That sounds like fun Gilla I might do the same since fabric is so expensive. lol

Good Work, Gilla!

At some point in time it might "pay" to talk to the people at the unloading dock of the Salvation Army thrift shop(s).

They used to take rags and sell them to someone for recycling. Salvation Army got some money and the buyer recycled rags no one else could use.

Jois

I gave 95% of this stuff to our local Lutheran church group who make quilts for the children's hospital and children's shelter here. They are doing a fantastic job and want to use these fabrics. I am sure the ladies will give what they can't use to
    Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

Some of my quilts I have donated, one to the wounded warrior hospital at Brooke Army Medical, the other two to my church for a raffle to raise money for Haiti. The fabrics are being used for a good cause.

I guess you'll have to watch what you ask for, you might get it. Then what?

Ask and ye shall receive........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    you are so lucky, enjoy your fabric. Penny

Blog Entries
    The denim would be great for a raggy quilt with a flannel back. Have fun with all your fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by penny doty
    you are so lucky, enjoy your fabric. Penny
    Penny, that wasn't luck. I tried something and it worked. Meanwhile I picked up another box from some lady who wanted to get it out of her closet. Every piece is children's motive, a yard and 1 1/2 pieces. her mother started something and didn't finish. I'll be making pillow cases towards the 1 million till I am blue in the face.

My grandmother made a top out of old double knit and I put a pretty design sheet behind it and had it machine quilted. Not pretty, but a very suitable service quilt for our camper. And washes easily too. So don't rule out anything! Glad your church could make use of all you didn't want. Never hurts to ask.

I actually joined freecycle - I get the notices but have not posted yet. I am going to try and give something before I ask to receive. It is amazing what is out there just sitting waiting for a new home :)

I use freecycle all the time! Just hate to put things in the trash when it might be usefull to someone else.

What a haul! Sounds like you will end up with enough to donate to every quilting group you can find to make charity quilts. Great way to recycle.