Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I can't believe I did this!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-cant-believe-i-did-t40106.html)

Gilla 03-20-2010 10:13 AM

Several days ago MiHolmes mentoned on this board about being able to get a bunch of free fabrics by running an ad..

Well, I thought I try that and ran an ad also. Not with freecycle.

I received four calls so far. The first wanted me to buy her scraps worth $200 for $100. I don't have $100 to put into someone else's scraps, two more had yarn & other things not related.

The last lady calling me wanted her garage emptied out and said she had cotton fabrics left over from something. I decided to go for that one and just got back.
She wasn't kidding. I wound up with about 200# of cotton fabrics, a lot already cut into squares or shapes, ready to assemble. My WHOLE van was filled with fabrics----FREE (I am not kidding) and her husband put it all into the van for me and I didn't have to lift a finger.

There is no way in God's green acres that I can use it all. I belong to a guild and a group where we quilt together. They'll help. Even then it is more than we can use. How did she get all of this? Unbelievable!!!

It is here on my living room floor next to my sewing area. Wow!

If I don't write for a while, you know what I am doing. ----And the ad is still running.

Gilla

I'll post some pictures of this stuff when I get to take any.

Ditter43 03-20-2010 10:17 AM

That is great!! I might try that myself!! Congratulations on your big haul!!

Ditter

May in Jersey 03-20-2010 10:18 AM

What a great windfall for you and your friends. No only did you get a lot of free fabric you also helped the woman clear out her garage. Now both of your are happy. May in Jersey

Darlene 03-20-2010 11:15 AM

Congratulations on your big score.

Maggiesmom 03-20-2010 12:07 PM

I haven't a doubt about how she got so much fabric......

Gilla 03-20-2010 01:59 PM

I have only looked at one box so far. It looks like the stuff came from some kind of clothing factory. Some of the stuff seems to be trims from cutting out patterns. There is still a lot of fabric left, but it isn't the type I want. There is a lot in there that I do like. So far I have found 3 jelly rolls in tact. There are lots and lots of single squares cut out. Even a whole bag of denim fabric that could be used in a quilt if someone wanted to cut it into shapes. Apparently that, too, is remnants of pattern trim, but enough to make some kind of denim quilt design. (Not my bag).
I will sort out what I want to keep, give to my friends what they want, and the rest to Goodwill.

MollieSue 03-20-2010 02:28 PM

Good for you!!! Enjoy!!! :) :)
Where did you post your ad, if not on freecycle?

jljack 03-20-2010 02:40 PM

Fantastic!!! Have a great time with it!!

Gilla 03-20-2010 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by MollieSue
Good for you!!! Enjoy!!! :) :)
Where did you post your ad, if not on freecycle?

I sent you PM

tkhooper 03-20-2010 03:45 PM

Do I qualified as goodwill?