Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I can't believe I'm such an idiot! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-cant-believe-im-such-idiot-t158140.html)

Glassquilt 10-05-2011 06:57 AM

Maybe you just need a morning cup of coffee. :)

Gramie bj 10-05-2011 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
Further confirmation that I'm a ditz -- it is right, it was just the way I had the top turned that made it looked wrong -- sheesh!!!

I had 30 blocks sewn together and pined on my wall, spent 3 days looking at it, it just didn't look right! even sat down with my sketch and checked each piece, it just looked wromg! My 8 yr old GD came over and found the problem right off! Gramie why is your quilt upside down? LOL

starshine 10-05-2011 07:57 AM

Well it is good to sometimes walk away for a change of scene and then go back to look at your work.

BellaBoo 10-05-2011 08:11 AM

Funny! I have done the same thing. I made other blocks in the quilt with the same mistake and it looked like I planned it that way. it won a blue ribbon at the fair a few years ago.

Carol J. 10-05-2011 08:15 AM

If anyone notices, tell them the wrong block gives the quilt character and smile.

Carol J.

gramajo 10-05-2011 08:25 AM

That is what makes each quilt unique.

AliKat 10-05-2011 10:04 AM

I know there are many similar stories to your out 'there/here'.

Mine was being in a quilting group where 2 of the ladies laid out the squares on 3 large tables put together for this reason. When they finished one of them said that they had laid it out wrong! They had started at the wrong side. [?] They laughed when I said all they had to do was go to another side of t he tables and they would see it was laid out correctly after. [Remember I used to teach math and am visually oriented.] I took a picture of the quilt. They laughed some more, picked up their squares and did the whole thing over. The finished quilt layout was still the same as my first picture.

Go figure.

ali

kiffie2413 10-05-2011 10:15 AM

Thanks for the chuckle...I have done things like that...my quilt group gals actually have told me that they loved when I joined up, as I would always share my "duh" moments...they said they all had them, too..just never really told each other!! Well, now we all share with each other. I totally agree with the old saying "laughter is good for the soul.."
Kif
PS With my profession, when I am working with someone, it is often "mirroring", meaning I am using my left arm as we work with their right one...so, when I am laying out a quilt that can really get me going... :shock:

char634w 10-05-2011 01:29 PM

I have been told that those blocks are called humility blocks. I usually always have one or more in a quilt - hehehe

Years ago when I was into smocking and making a dress for my niece I smocked the entire thing on the wrong side. It was a white on white with a pink monogram in the front. I did not realize my error till I was all done and noticed that the french seams were on the outside instead of the inside. I did rip all the stitches out and start over - grrrrrrr.

mmdquilts 10-05-2011 01:43 PM

You are in great company!