Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I couldn't be the only one (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-couldnt-only-one-t31245.html)

carrieg 12-11-2009 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter2B

Originally Posted by Mamaskeeto
Work sure does get in the way. I have a few friends that rotary cut fabric on their lunch hour. I've never done that before, I'd probally get food all over my fabric. LOL

I used to do this years ago when I was in the "corporate" world - I'd find an empty conference room or office away from the high traffic patterns and enjoy a half hour or so of "creative" time. Now, if my "life" would just get out of the way, I could do it all the time! :lol:

I think this is a good idea! I get an hour for lunch, we have an empty conference room, & I bring my lunch in, so I usually have 40 minutes free.

:-)

pittsburgpam 12-11-2009 10:01 AM

I have it too!! I think about quilting all day. I want to go home and sew. I so wish I didn't HAVE to work but unless a knight comes along and wisks me off to his castle with a huge sewing room and electricity...

Ok, back from fantasy land. :lol:

QuiltMania 12-11-2009 04:07 PM

I agree, that pesky work does cut into my quilting time. Along with that pesky family that insists on eating dinner every day. Imagine the nerve!:) But on the up side, only 5 more work days until Christmas break! I intend to quilt every day and no one better bother me.

Boston1954 12-11-2009 04:27 PM

I used to have that problem, but since I no longer have or can afford a car, I cannot even look for work. So I stay home and quilt, watch television, and play on the computer. I like this life much better.

CindyBee 12-11-2009 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by bugsmom
This whole "work" thing is getting in the way of my sewing! You get a job and they expect you to come back EVERYDAY! Hello.....I have quilting on my mind I can't be productive in the finance department. 6 years of college and all I can think about at work is pretty fabrics........so sad

That used to be me! Now I'm retired and in sewing heaven. Bugsmom, take heart. Your time will come.

CindyBee 12-11-2009 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou
I'm retired, but friends and family seem to think I am a sewing robot and keep flooding me with sewing/mending that "won't take much time." My piles of UFO's and quilt patterns I want to try keep crying out to me.
I wish I could learn to say "No!" to these requests.

I get a lot of those too. I really don't like mending and hemming but I do them anyway. It's just one of those things that goes with the territory when you have non-sewing friends and family. Sometimes I have resorted to the "sure, I'll be happy to, but I'm bogged down for the next few weeks". It really is kind of amazing to me that the average person these days has no idea how to hem a pair of pants. Even by hand this would take about 30 minutes.

Shemjo 12-15-2009 09:10 AM

I am retired, work part time, and volunteer at church where I hand quilt 2 days a week! It feels like the best of both worlds most of the time. And it keeps me out of the stores where I would see more fabric that I would lust over, and I have plenty if I just would stay home and sew with it!

Shemjo 12-15-2009 01:37 PM

Have to tell on myself. We have ReUseIt here, like freecycle, and someone advertised some bags of fabric scraps. I went out to a Universtiy theatre and got 2 garbage bags of costuming fabric scraps. I haven't sorted them all yet, but I am so tickled with what is in the bags. Some regular cottons, but so much textured fabric that looks like clothing for The Green Man of mythology! And maybe Robin Hood! Earthy colors. I will have to sort further and post a picture. This kind of stuff keeps me from sewing. :oops:

thismomquilts 12-15-2009 02:59 PM

I am a stay at home mom with two kids at home - homeschool them - I volunteer with Angel Food Ministry at church - nothing else. I do keep busy but recently read some very wise thoughts- Planning to Bless - it's about planning my day so I can make sure I bless someone throughout my day if/when the opportunity presents itself - or planning ahead to do so. I have found that if I plan at least one 30 minute period a day to sew in some way, I end up having more time to sew later. Organization, I HOPE, is my way to getting more time to quilt in my days home.

Lneal 12-15-2009 06:12 PM

As soon as I get one quilt finished it seems I'm thinking about another one.