Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I didn't press my binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-didnt-press-my-binding-t198277.html)

xsquilter 08-21-2012 06:13 PM

Well, I'll be darned. I'm another who's going to try this. Geez, you never stop learning!
Maureen

4dogs 08-21-2012 06:15 PM

I never press binding...........I always sew it on the back first, then flip it to the front, and sew it down with a cute decorative stitch.........I havent had any problem doing it this way. I use 2 1/2 or 3 inch width.

joy 08-21-2012 06:28 PM

I cut my binding 2 and a half inches... fold over... then sew, from the front, to the quilt by machine... then fold over to the back and handstitch down.... makes a lovely job... mitred corners are a must too...

Silver Needle 08-21-2012 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5457113)
It might have been one of my posts - I fully believe your bindings will lay better if you don't press them first. This allows the fabric to shift across the width (not length) and lay flatter when you sew. Plus it's less work! :)

I'm glad it worked for you!

Would this work with Sharon Schamber's method of gluing the binding to the quilt before stitching it down. I kind of liked the gluing method but I'm not so fond of standing there ironing binding in half.

auntpiggylpn 08-21-2012 06:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by charity-crafter (Post 5457976)
I confuse easily also, so you align just one edge of the binding to the quilt, then fold it in half and stitch it down on the other side? I understand what you are saying about the track and it makes sense.

That is exactly how I am doing it right now. I align the edge of the binding to the front, sewed it on. Now I am flipping it to the back. I am lining up the raw edge to the seam line on the front and and then rolling it to the back and hand stitching it in place. I tried to take pictures to show you but I am doing a dark red binding and my thread matched perfectly so the pictures are not coming out very well.

Mickey1 08-21-2012 07:00 PM

Is it harder to align the binding to the edge of the quilt without the crease? I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this.

auntpiggylpn 08-21-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey1 (Post 5458056)
Is it harder to align the binding to the edge of the quilt without the crease? I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this.

Not at all. It is just like sewing two strips together!

raksmum 08-21-2012 08:39 PM

Me too. So do we fold it together (and just not press it) first, so that both raw edges of the binding are being sewn on or do we not fold it together first and only sew on a single raw edge on first. Sorry for the confusion!

Peckish 08-21-2012 09:01 PM

You do everything exactly as you would normally do, you just skip the ironing step.

btiny36 08-21-2012 09:07 PM

LOL omg it's gotta be way past my bedtime. I think I understand but not sure...thinking I'm confused. Maybe in the morning it all be clear....but hey sounds easy to do....thanks bunches