Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I didn't press my binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-didnt-press-my-binding-t198277.html)

Bluelady 08-21-2012 09:12 PM

I am going to try this! My bindings look.. "okay"... but get that weird bunching especially at the end. This sounds so much easier.

teddysmom 08-22-2012 02:54 AM

I've never pressed my binding. I guess it's because no one ever told me that's what I should do.

bhanes 08-22-2012 03:20 AM

I have been doing it this way for a while. There is a tutorial from a well known quilter - don't remember who! Try it.

maviskw 08-22-2012 04:09 AM

I have always pressed my bindings in half; if I sew it on the back and machine sew on the front, or if I sew it on the front and stitch-in-the-ditch (SITD) from the front or hand stitch on the back. My bindings never "bunch up", so I don't understand that. Binding fabric is so thin that I don't see how there can be a problem. I have had the problem a few times that the binding didn't stay flat...the top layer seemed to have more fabric than the bottom. I solved this by giving a little stretch to the binding as I sew it on. That way you also don't get wavy edges either. The binding is nice and snug.

ohstr 08-22-2012 04:22 AM

There is a tutorial www.aliciasattic.com Marci Baker shows this method. It is wonderful and the method she uses to join the two ends is fantastic. Since I viewed this tutorial I have been using this method and love the results.

mythreesuns 08-22-2012 04:24 AM

I am so glad to see this post... I am a complete self taught quilter. So from the start, I have never ironed my binding (happily because I hate to iron), but then saw all the posts on here about it...and was always to chicken to say I never did. ha ha ha I have noticed my bindings are better with my own fabric use...then it was with store bought binding.

lisalovesquilting 08-22-2012 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter (Post 5457976)
I confuse easily also, so you align just one edge of the binding to the quilt, then fold it in half and stitch it down on the other side? I understand what you are saying about the track and it makes sense.

I'm not sure, but if I'm reading this right, we're talking about two different methods here. Peckish does everything as usual except ironing ( fold in half, stitch to front, hand sew on the back). Jo C on the other hand sews only one layer, sews it on the back, flips to front and folds under as she machine sews it to the front.

charity-crafter 08-22-2012 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting (Post 5458695)
I'm not sure, but if I'm reading this right, we're talking about two different methods here. Peckish does everything as usual except ironing ( fold in half, stitch to front, hand sew on the back). Jo C on the other hand sews only one layer, sews it on the back, flips to front and folds under as she machine sews it to the front.

I noticed that. Peckish posted pictures so that helped.

lisalovesquilting 08-22-2012 04:38 AM

I've always ironed, but will try this because it would certainly cut down on time. Thanks

MadP 08-22-2012 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jo C (Post 5457666)
I didn't press at all. Just cut the binding and sewed as usual, except there is no center crease. I had no stretching and it lays perfectly flat as i stitched. Thanks to Peggi...i'm never going back!

I don't press my binding anymore either. It works much better.