Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I drank the kool-aid (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-drank-kool-aid-t97747.html)

The Creative Seamstress 02-07-2011 08:58 PM

All I have to say is: "MaryEllen's Best Press"!!!!! :-D I heart it so very much!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress

justwannaquilt 02-07-2011 09:00 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE starch. probably two much. This morning while I was spraying my fabric my BIL asked me if I was planning to send my fabric to the corner. I was like ??What?? He said that fabric is going to stand in the corner on its own. lol I replied....No just cutting on the bias!

suebee 02-07-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by lisalisa
Every other post I read here is, "starch this, starch that". I'm thinking alright, I guess I need to get some. Sheesh. But then I forgot about it. Then I walked into my local thrift store and what was sitting on the shelf waiting for me for a whole dollar? A brand new unused bottle of starch.

Sweet mother of starch. I'm sorry I questioned you. For those of you who've yet to jump on the bandwagon. Run go now! You'll never look back.

Hilarious! Love it!

lisalisa 02-07-2011 09:03 PM

I noticed the blade cuts through the fabric like butter if you starch before cutting.

Seems to also help fix fmq oopsies.

Rhonda 02-07-2011 09:04 PM

I don't use the yardages you people do but I love to spray Magic Sizing on all my projects when I am done. It gives them a very professional look. They look crisp and smooth.

cjomomma 02-07-2011 09:06 PM

I was using starch but when I had to make cut backs starch was one of the first to go.

SnowQuilt 02-07-2011 09:12 PM

I haven't been starching. Is it easier to quilt, or piece with starch?

sharoney 02-07-2011 09:13 PM

OK, Everbody here starches. But I use quilters basting spray to sandwich my quilts before quilting and I read that it won't stick if the fabric is starched. Anyone?

Prism99 02-07-2011 09:21 PM

Here's my easy-peasy method for starching yardage. I mix a solution of water and Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and "paint" the starch onto the fabric using a large wall painting brush. (My kitchen island is perfect for this task.) Once the fabric is saturated, I toss it in the dryer. Final step is to iron with steam. Sometimes I will mist with water to increase the amount of steam, but usually this is not necessary.

My favorite solution for backing fabrics and binding fabrics is a 1:1 ratio of water to starch. I don't prewash piecing fabrics, so usually don't bother to starch those.

It really helps to have the starch dry before ironing, as then you don't have to worry about accidentally scorching the fabric or the bottom of your iron. Steam reactivates the starch.

Prism99 02-07-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by sharoney
OK, Everbody here starches. But I use quilters basting spray to sandwich my quilts before quilting and I read that it won't stick if the fabric is starched. Anyone?

I heavily starch backing fabrics and have had no problems using 505. I do use cotton batting or 80/20 batting. Have heard that polyester battings sometimes don't stick well.