Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I drank the kool-aid (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-drank-kool-aid-t97747.html)

sharoney 02-07-2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99

Originally Posted by sharoney
OK, Everbody here starches. But I use quilters basting spray to sandwich my quilts before quilting and I read that it won't stick if the fabric is starched. Anyone?

I heavily starch backing fabrics and have had no problems using 505. I do use cotton batting or 80/20 batting. Have heard that polyester battings sometimes don't stick well.

Thanks! I use either cotton or 80/20, too. Do you starch your fabrics before you cut?

Prism99 02-07-2011 09:43 PM

Thanks! I use either cotton or 80/20, too. Do you starch your fabrics before you cut?

Absolutely. Starch stabilizes the fabric so it doesn't move when I cut. It also helps eliminate puckers when machine quilting.

sharoney 02-07-2011 09:46 PM

Well, I'm game! I'll give it a try!

skydiver70 02-07-2011 09:49 PM

Starch, starch. starch!!!!

Reminds me of what my Mama told about Grandma many years ago. It was while Mama still lived at home and before she married Daddy. Mama said she had been having to do the laundry most of the time for the whole family and knew how to do it and how much starch (flour and water) to use.

But one day Grandma told her, "Now don't starch my underwear". Mama said it made her so mad, since Grandma knew she had been doing the washing for a long time. So Mama said she made the starch so thick and dipped Grandma's underwear in it and they would stand alone when they dried. Grandma never told her how to do the laundry anymore. Wonder why???? LOL

k9dancer 02-07-2011 09:55 PM

OK, Everbody here starches. But I use quilters basting spray to sandwich my quilts before quilting and I read that it won't stick if the fabric is starched. Anyone?

Totally not true, at least for me. I starch like crazy, use spray basting on both sides of the batting, and I hand baste. The spray basting is great; I love it.

And I starch my piecing fabric before cutting, too.

SnowQuilt 02-07-2011 09:56 PM

I'm game too. On to the store tomorrow.

raedar63 02-08-2011 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by skydiver70
Starch, starch. starch!!!!

Reminds me of what my Mama told about Grandma many years ago. It was while Mama still lived at home and before she married Daddy. Mama said she had been having to do the laundry most of the time for the whole family and knew how to do it and how much starch (flour and water) to use.

But one day Grandma told her, "Now don't starch my underwear". Mama said it made her so mad, since Grandma knew she had been doing the washing for a long time. So Mama said she made the starch so thick and dipped Grandma's underwear in it and they would stand alone when they dried. Grandma never told her how to do the laundry anymore. Wonder why???? LOL

:lol: :lol:

raedar63 02-08-2011 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I was using starch but when I had to make cut backs starch was one of the first to go.

Hey Carrie I read somewhere on here how to make home made starch I bet it would really be inexpensive to make ;-)

ssgramma 02-08-2011 04:33 AM

I like the homemade Mary Ellen's that I learned about here. 2 ounces of vodka, couple drops of lavendar essential oil and fill the 16 ounce ME bottle with water.

I found the lavendar oil at Whole Foods and have requested my own bottle of cheap vodka for the sewing room LOL I have been making it with Sky Vodka and that could get a little expensive!!!

earlylace 02-08-2011 05:06 AM

I now buy a huge jug at the supermarket and mix my own it was getting to expensive buying a bottle everytime. But oh my the ironing board cover get so stiff!