Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I was feeling a little blue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-feeling-little-blue-t227756.html)

margied 08-12-2013 04:39 AM

Yes, it's good to know I'm not the only one who gets depressed. Quilting definitely helps get me through (along with dark chocolate and ice cream - individually or together but together is better!!) I try not to work on anything important though - if it's therapy sewing there will probably be mistakes or at the least not my best work.

Retired Fire Chief 08-12-2013 05:00 AM

I went through a really rough period after my husbands recovery, I can't call it the blues, I honestly thought I was losing my mind. My doctor said it was post incident stress and wanted to put me in the hospital, but who has time for that! I couldn't do anything much and had a difficult time getting through work. Luckily that passed after about 6 months and now I can't feel blue, my dogs are to happy to let that happen, then I do whatever including quilting.

coopah 08-12-2013 05:20 AM

I retreat into books when depressed. If I try to sew...nothing goes together right, so I leave it alone.

carolynjo 08-12-2013 06:11 AM

Go for it! Chocolate cake and ice cream will help anything!

mighty 08-12-2013 06:26 AM

Yes, makes me feel much better!! Hugs

Vera39760 08-12-2013 06:42 AM

I am being treated for depression. It depends on how deep the depression. I still have really bad days from the deaths of my son and grandson. Those days I can't do anything. The days are getting more often that I can. I've finished several quilts this year for our church sewing ministry and finished one for myself and a top for my Mom. I have actually worked on a couple of UFOs that my son use to "inspect" when he would stop by for coffee.
It will be 3 years Aug.30. I miss them horribly but I do know I will see them again one day. I have to remind myself they are living victoriously now.

Jo Anne B. 08-12-2013 07:08 AM

NO, when I am blue I find I have a “don’t care” frame of mind, and don’t want to bring that into to my quilting..
Sometimes a Chocolate Chip Frappe from McD’s can be an instant pick me up.

Passionate Quilter 08-12-2013 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Vera39760 (Post 6229958)
I am being treated for depression. It depends on how deep the depression. I still have really bad days from the deaths of my son and grandson. Those days I can't do anything. The days are getting more often that I can. I've finished several quilts this year for our church sewing ministry and finished one for myself and a top for my Mom. I have actually worked on a couple of UFOs that my son use to "inspect" when he would stop by for coffee.
It will be 3 years Aug.30. I miss them horribly but I do know I will see them again one day. I have to remind myself they are living victoriously now.

Oh Vera, you have a "top spot" on my prayer list as I have felt your pain. Our family lost my brother and his son in a small plane crash in Aug. of 1959 and our family took a long time to even get back to some form of normalcy. He left a wonderful wife and three little girls behind and they are so dear to us. My parents came near to "losing it" and I was the only one who could help. By the grace of God and the faith of our family we have all made it. Now Mom and Dad have moved on to Heaven and they are together with my brother and nephew, what a glorious reunion that must have been. So, Vera, I'll be praying and I know from experience you will recover. God be with you everyday and those long nights. Sending love and hugs to you.

wendiq 08-12-2013 07:18 AM

I quilt and listen to books on my Ipod and most depressing thoughts just take flight. Sewing is so therapeutic.....I think that's a big reason we all do it......:)

mjhaess 08-12-2013 07:21 AM

Good for you..We all need to do things that make us happy...House work is never done so do it later...