Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I hate binding a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-hate-binding-quilt-t164207.html)

Dottie Bug 10-30-2011 07:47 PM

When I do my binding I use a Walking foot and use Sharon Shambers on gluing the binding down. when binding is all sewn down I press the binding to the back , I hand sew the mitered corners first then sew the rest by machine a stitch in the ditch. when you do your folding at the 90 degree angle make sure you have about an 1/8" over hang when folded back down the straight edge of quilt.this gives you a little bit more for your mitered corner. Dottie Bug

earthwalker 10-30-2011 07:54 PM

I love doing the binding...as the others have explained the mitre process beautifully I won't add my five cents. The best "trick" I learned (from here of course) is to ladder stitch the back side....quick and neat. Binding is the perfect frame for a quilt...think that's why I enjoy it so.

margecam52 10-30-2011 09:59 PM

This is how I do mine:

I start stitching about 12" from what will be the bottom corner of the quilt....start by leaving about 10" of binding unsewn (besides the 12" where you will stitch...this extra will make joining the binding ends easier later.

1. Stop stitching 1/4" from the end of the seam (or, the distance of the seam allowance you are using for attaching your binding). Pivot and sew off the very corner of the quilt. Snip the thread. That diagonal (45 degree from seam to tip of corner) is your fold line.

2. Fold the binding up along that diagonal stitching, then bring it back down, matching the raw edge of the binding to the raw edge of the next side of the quilt..

3. Now start sewing 1/4" (or your seam allowance)in from the top edge of this side of the quilt, you will sew over all layers, including the binding ...right on down to the next corner and repeat.

Once I have done this...and reach within 12" or so of where I started... I stop stitching and take a couple of back stitches..leave about 10" of binding before you cut the excess. This extra & what you left at the start will let you find the exact spot to join the binding. If you know how, you can do a diagonal seam here...I don't...I find where the two ends will meet on the quilt..snip a tiny knotch to mark it (you can use a marking pen, but I just snip).
Open out and sew w/right sides together... trim to 1/4"... refold, sew down.

You are now ready to hand sew the backing down...or you can machine stitch it down.

I don't pin the binding..takes too long and it causes pleats to form...at least for me.

I fold over the binding to the back...and from the back I make sure the binding is just over my stitch line that shows where the binding seam on the front is.. I then stitch close to the edge of the binding...10-20 stitches at a time...slow goes it. My stitching is not show perfect...but my corners always turn out nicely.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Trish88
Hey everyone....Ive started getting some of my xmas projects started and when I get to the end of the project and I have to do binding...I just get so frustrated its always a fiscal is that a word lol.....I usually get it done but Iam never happy with it...Ive watched videos and tutorials etc.....is there a secret to this that I have to pay for lol....its mostly my corners I can never get them perfect for some reason....Iam beginning to think I need to take a class for this......anyways if any of you have any secrets to share I sure would appreciate it.......thx Trish :wink:

joycet 10-31-2011 05:44 AM

Glad to know i"m not alone. I hate binding too. I don't mind hand stitching it down..just machine putting it on. I too can never get my corners to look good. Maybe one will..the next one will be a bit off, third one will be pretty bad and the 4th will be horrible. I've bought about everything I've seen to help me...even to several of the Martinellis items and nothing seems to help. Frustrated in Fl!!! LOL

margecam52 10-31-2011 09:15 AM

I'm a frugal quilter/crafter... the important things to remember are:
Keep an accurate seam allowance, wether 1/4", 1/2" or?...keep it the same.

When you get to within a seam allowance of the end of the side, stop, pivot and stitch off the very corner of the quilt..this gives you the 45 degree fold line.

Fold up the binding on that 45 degree stitching, fold it back down matching the raw edges of the batting to the raw edges of the quilt's next side to be sewn. Make sure that the fold matches at the top, with the raw edge of the side you just sewed.
Sew over all sides...and continue to the next corner.

If you do the above, you can't pull the fold of the mitre out of place.

Originally Posted by joycet
Glad to know i"m not alone. I hate binding too. I don't mind hand stitching it down..just machine putting it on. I too can never get my corners to look good. Maybe one will..the next one will be a bit off, third one will be pretty bad and the 4th will be horrible. I've bought about everything I've seen to help me...even to several of the Martinellis items and nothing seems to help. Frustrated in Fl!!! LOL

katkat1946 10-31-2011 10:55 AM

THANK YOU X A MILLION for suggesting Sharon Schamber's binding videos!!! They are fantastic. Now I just need to know where to get a fine tip like she had for the end of the glue bottle. link: http://quiltinggallery.com/2008/05/1...s-school-glue/

JeanieG 10-31-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by katkat1946
THANK YOU X A MILLION for suggesting Sharon Schamber's binding videos!!! They are fantastic. Now I just need to know where to get a fine tip like she had for the end of the glue bottle. link: http://quiltinggallery.com/2008/05/1...s-school-glue/

Kat,

I went to Michael's and got a bottle of Deco Art Foam Paint because it had this tiny tip. I dumped the paint out and rinsed the bottle thoroughly. I refilled with the Elmer's School Glue and it works just great. The top snaps on the tip of the cap and seals it completely. I've used it for over a year now, and it is still going strong, and it only cost $1.00!!!

Dottie Bug 10-31-2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG

Originally Posted by katkat1946

Kat,

I went to Michael's and got a bottle of Deco Art Foam Paint because it had this tiny tip. I dumped the paint out and rinsed the bottle thoroughly. I refilled with the Elmer's School Glue and it works just great. The top snaps on the tip of the cap and seals it completely. I've used it for over a year now, and it is still going strong, and it only cost $1.00!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

born2bfree67 10-31-2011 11:48 AM

i will share the secret that has been in my family for generations of bolivian quilters.
first sew the binding to the quilt top by machine. when you begin sewing the binding to the back by hand and you are getting close to the corners, snip the corner off (the quilt top, batting and backing) and you binding will guarantee you a square corner each time.
hope this helps all you ladies :-)

TerryQuilter 10-31-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by jlwheart
I just finished binding a table runner and used Sharon Schamber's techniques from her binding tutorials. Wow! The difference was amazing. 1st it was way easier than I expected and the result was much more professional looking. I highly recommend her utube tutorials.

Ditto. My binding was the best yet and the gluing makes it so easy.