Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a question---- (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-question-t9836.html)

Craftybug 08-04-2008 06:01 PM

I would call it like Melisa, "Discombabulated" I never heard of having to alternate the way you piece them together. Before you do anything iron what you have put together already and see if it looks crooked eye to you.
It could be that some of the seam allowences are wider than others or the fabric itself.

Cathe 08-04-2008 06:12 PM

One way to avoid this is to work in smaller units and then join the smaller units to make your panel.

If your panel has 24 strips, sew 12 sets of 2 strips. Then sew the strip pairs together in pairs, so you have 6 sets of 4 strips. Then join those so you have 3 sets of 8 strips. Sew the 3 units together. By working with larger, more stable units, you are less likely to pull them out of shape.

mamatobugboo 08-04-2008 06:30 PM

i was taught at one of my first classes to alternate top/bottom when sewing long strips together - that way they don't start curling into big circles!

Barb M 08-04-2008 06:38 PM

hmmm, when i do strip piecing, i always make my strips an inch longer than they need be, then after i've sewn my strips, i just do a straight trim across the top edge.

Moonpi 08-04-2008 06:42 PM

For lots of long strips, I use a walking foot. I'd be willing to bet the logic of alternating strips was intended to make up for fluctuations that the walking foot prevents.

Skeat 08-04-2008 07:23 PM

abacus, could it be the pressing that is deforming the shape??If you are sure you are sewing exactly or pretty darn close, to a 1/4" seam and all looked pretty good till you ironed it...could be the way you are pressing your fabric. I know, for I had to fight this for a long time...I like to press hard and go from left to right...a big no no in causing the fabric to move. There are many free videos out there to watch w/the proper way to iron. I have to hummm the words in my head still:))In fact, I just might not be very safe w/an iron:))LOL Just a thought on that subject...Skeat
*If you don't have a 1/4 guide on your foot...then use quilting tape to mark your line on the machine itself to give you a guide.

Marcia 08-04-2008 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Barb M
hmmm, when i do strip piecing, i always make my strips an inch longer than they need be, then after i've sewn my strips, i just do a straight trim across the top edge.

Oh, Barb-I like the way you think!!!

gcathie 08-04-2008 08:22 PM

alot of great idea's on here....I sew oppisite ends...seems to make a difference...also could you be pulling or streching the fabric...that's easy to do... keep at it you'll figure it out... :D

Barb M 08-04-2008 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Marcia

Originally Posted by Barb M

Oh, Barb-I like the way you think!!!

lol me too :) :) :)

abacus 08-05-2008 07:05 AM

Thank you, girls, for your input. The Olympics are coming up; taking out a couple of columns will be good television work. I have a seam guide on my sewing machine (actually it is picture mounting tape which has some depth to it. Really good for butting your fabric against), and I haven't pressed it yet. I think I will try to rip out some and see if that helps.

Again, I appreciate all of your ideas Thanks, so much.