Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Just Can't Cut it. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-cant-cut-t107017.html)

Kathi Kraftyzales 03-13-2011 02:06 PM

I too had that problem with my "Day of the Dead" fabric collection. I took a class on making a quilted jacket from a sweatshirt. It's a crazy quilt on a sweatshirt concept. Anyhow, my quilting instructor had us stack the fabrics and just slash cut them. I could not do it, so she made the first cuts for me. It was easy after that....
As you can see from my photo, the end product was shown a our local quilt show.

MerryQuilter 03-13-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
I was once told "Those beautiful fabrics that you just can't cut into.....do it......otherwise your grandkids will inherit that fabric and make Halloween costumes out of it"

LOL

MerryQuilter 03-13-2011 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
Take a look at the post under the "Pictures" section titled "Quilter wanna be" by Kendallsmom on 3/12/2011. She is a new quilter and sewer who has made some beautiful tops with large pieces of fabric that would be perfect for those pieces you don't want to cut. We could all take a lesson from her! :thumbup:

Sue

Oh and there was just a "cake walk" quilt on this board that beautifully displayed large print fabrics.

quilting librarian 03-13-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
I tacked up two Japanese fabrics, that I can bear to cut, like they were art works (which, actually, they are). One is in my bedroom, the other in the Quilt Room.

What a great idea!

quilting librarian 03-13-2011 03:34 PM

I recently saw a quilt on here where the panel was cut to use for the background squares for an attic windows type quilt. It was beautiful and I think I may have to try that idea with one of my fabrics I don't want to cut up.

Pattyjo7686 03-13-2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
I was once told "Those beautiful fabrics that you just can't cut into.....do it......otherwise your grandkids will inherit that fabric and make Halloween costumes out of it"

You got that right. My girls wanted to make doll clothes when they were little I told them we would just get a old dress out of my closet an they could use that.
So one day when the babysitter was there they wanted to do the same with some of the neighbor girls so they got a old dress that had bee in the back of the colset for a long time. I got home and got to looking at the fabric and lace that looked all so formulary to me and I ask them were did you get this and they said right were you told us to. It was a old dress that has been there for ever. What could I say but youl dolls look just as pretty as I did on my wedding day. It WAS my dress they cut up. All the girls in the neighbor hood had bride dresses.

BettyGee 03-13-2011 04:55 PM

Oh, I know the feeling. I found a pattern by Makower and bought every yard I could find, now I don't want to cut it. Have decided whatever I use it for it will be the main focus of the quilt. Also patterns of puppies, have yards of different kinds and I'm hesitate to cut into it for fear I'll mess up. This is sounding unhealthy, fabric should make us happy - right?

frarose 03-13-2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lobster
It's not so much the cutting, it's the hoarding. I find that I don't want to use any of the fabric up, because I might need it later!

If you're not sure if a pattern is right for a fabric, put up photos here and ask us.

Yes that is me. I hoard the fabric and I love it all. I will go out and buy more for a project rather than use my fabric on the shelves.

I have been to estate sales and seen fabrics jut thrown about ot be sold and it reminds me that I should use mine but still have a hard time making myself do so.

Grandma Peg 03-13-2011 05:23 PM

Like to cut mine and make a quilt to show it off.

Nettie Phillips 03-13-2011 05:43 PM

It will still be beautiful when you get the quilt made. I don't
know how to over come cutting into it. I just go for it.