Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I may be traumatized (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-may-traumatized-t111174.html)

javin22 03-27-2011 02:00 PM

As a Vintageer myself, I am enjoying being wiser, and my cute young husband thinks Vintage it just fine.

crafty_linda_b 03-27-2011 02:07 PM

I realized I was old the day my sis & I were in an antique shop and they had the same exact ice bucket (chrome with penguins around the top) that DH & I had gotten as a wedding gift *L* I knew then I was officially OLD!!! We did just celebrate our 43rd anniversary on March 15th...so I better face the fact that I am old...I tell my kids that I am NOT getting older....they are just catching up to me *L* our oldest DD will be 38 in Sept. DD #2 35 in Nov. and our 'baby' boy will be 28 in May...
YEP I'm old...;-)
Thanks for the dose of reality..Linda B.

pittsburgpam 03-27-2011 02:11 PM

The rotary telephone thing reminded me of a friend at work. He and his wife were going through some old albums and playing them. When he took one off the turntable and flipped it over to play the other side his teenage daughter about freaked out. She literally jerked and startled with, "No way!!" (that would be like turning a CD over, I guess :) )

ptquilts 03-27-2011 02:21 PM

Some ebay terms

Rare: No longer available at Walmart

Patina: rust

Rich Patina: heavy rust with pits

Cleaned professionally: 3 swipes with 60 grit sandpaper

From pet free home: My dog hasn't drooled on it much

From non-smoking home: I quit yesterday

OOK: from limited chinese production run of 150,000

L@@K!!: Couldn't give it away at the flea market

Gently Used: Hideously Disfigured

Like NEW: I wiped the dust off it

AS IS: Doesn't have a chance in hell of operating again

Replica: Cheap Chinese copy of a Korean knockoff

Get it before it's gone: bought overstocks in lots of a thousand

Free Shipping: Just kick me an extra $50 and it's yours

Collectible: Got it from the Micky Dee's drivethrough last week

Vintage: Armpit stains won't wash out

Recent OS: You DO still have your floppy discs, don't you?

Have I got a deal for you: Newbie buyers only

Shipped via UPS: beaten savagely by 2 irate gorillas

Murphy 03-27-2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I think the rule is still 100 years old for an antique and 30 to 50 years old for collectibles and 50 to 100 years old for vintage.

I've noticed a whole lot of ebay sellers don't really have a clue what they're talking about.

Scissor Queen, you are correct. An antique must be over 100 years old and rare to be considered a true antique. Nice job explaining.

moonwork42029 03-27-2011 03:17 PM

Go back and check out Katieranch's avatar... I'm not arguing with her regardless how old / young she is, lol.

Wild in AZ.. Wild I tell ya varmits!

letsquilt 03-28-2011 03:25 AM

I understand, a few years ago my DGS asked me if I was an antique. LOL!!

supergma 03-28-2011 03:53 AM

I inherited an old Challenge treadle machine from my first MIL. My DH was wondering how old it might be. MIL had that machine when I married her son 56 years ago, and it wasn't very new then. I think that machine and I are both vintage.

hospicenurse 03-28-2011 04:05 AM

Oh my goodness, I had the shock of my life too, when I went to an antique shop and on the shelf was my yearbook.My husband laughed and I cried!

lnklovesquilts 03-28-2011 04:16 AM

lol - love the visual! i must remember - quilt scraps in my ears!