Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need a new iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-new-iron-t135789.html)

muskratwine 07-08-2011 05:37 AM

Try the dry iron from Vermont Country Store - love it!! If I need steam, just spritz water and I'm good. the iron gets really hot and is just heavy enough to get the job done. And the price with shipping is around $30. I'll never go back to a steam iron again - had a Rowenta and like a lot of others, it leaked like crazy!!

purrfectquilts 07-08-2011 05:45 AM

I bought a very expensive Rowenta twice because I wanted the high wattage, many steam holes and titanium plate. The first one quit working just days after the warrant was out. That one was a refurbished one and about $129. So, I bought a new one at $159 and within just a few weeks the indicator light quit working. I did not ship it back, but have kept using it, but it annoys me that it didn't work after spending that much money. I also use a small shark ($20) with a non stick plate by the sewing machine for small blocks, paper piecing etc.

I like the Shark because it stays on until I shut it off and is always ready for those small blocks, etc. and it heats up nearly instantly if I shut it off in between.

The larger Rowenta has a shut off feature that I can't bypass so in between every block I have to wait for it to heat up again and it takes a good long while like a minute and a half each time. But, this iron is better for heavy duty steaming or pressing.

angiecub 07-08-2011 05:49 AM

Got a refurbished Rowenta for $19.99 at a kitchen outlet store in November and love it. The only time is leaks or sputters is when I don't let it heat up all the way before trying to use it. I would highly recommend it, especially at that price.

mhansen6 07-08-2011 05:50 AM

I have a Naomoto gravity feed iron. I have had gravity feed irons for 26 years and I love them.

Jeanniejo 07-08-2011 05:51 AM

I buy the cheap ones at Walmart because they don't have an auto shut off. I hate to try to press and the iron is cold AGAIN !!!!

Jeananne 07-08-2011 05:56 AM

I also have a shark, out of all the irons I've gone thru, this was has been the best so far!

EagarBeez 07-08-2011 06:29 AM

I have a shark. Great iron, reasonable price. It has a longer cord then most irons.

Deborah12687 07-08-2011 06:34 AM

I purchased a sunbeam iron and like it a lot. I can spray water or press a button to shoot some steam on stuburn wrinkles. I noticed that a heavier iron does a better job then the light weight irons. The iron doesn't cost an arm and a leg either.

Barb44 07-08-2011 06:37 AM

Sorry, double post.

Barb44 07-08-2011 06:38 AM

I have a Proctor Silex that my mother gave me. She died in 1998, so have been using it over 13 years. I love the auto shutoff because I forget to turn irons off. It heats up very quickly. It uses tap water and I have never had to clean it. It steams great but has to be refilled often so don't use steam for quilting. I use the spray bottle. It is light weight so my arm does not wear out when I have a lot of fabric to press.