Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need a new iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-new-iron-t135789.html)

JNCT14 07-08-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by muskratwine
Try the dry iron from Vermont Country Store - love it!! If I need steam, just spritz water and I'm good. the iron gets really hot and is just heavy enough to get the job done. And the price with shipping is around $30. I'll never go back to a steam iron again - had a Rowenta and like a lot of others, it leaked like crazy!!

Muskratwine I'm with you - I got mine from Vermont Country Store and it is the BEST! The only thing is that they don't sell cleaning stuff if the plate gets goopy. I use the Dritz Iron Off which works good if I am bozo enough to iron fusible fleece..... :oops:

MOMBASIL53 07-08-2011 07:45 AM

I have gone thrrough 2 irons in 4 mo.Bought the Proctor Silex at K mart. Thosee are the ones I use in the sewing room. The one I use for ironing my clothes and it is a Rowenta it leaks so I have bad luck with irons.

Rubyrednails2 07-08-2011 08:00 AM

I have had a Rowenta Professional iron for probably 10+ years that I LOVE! It recently has started making a "clicking" noise when I turn it on and doesn't heat up. I have to unplug it a time or two and then it works. Sooo...I know it will die one of these days....I bought a Shark Professional model marked down to $30.00 at Kohl's last week with my discount coupon. It heats up nice but isn't my Cadillac Rowenta iron.

quiltingnonie 07-08-2011 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I have a Naomoto gravity feed iron. I have had gravity feed irons for 26 years and I love them.

OK. What the heck is gravity feed??

Valerie Ann 07-08-2011 08:09 AM

Had an expensive Rowenta. Love my Costco Sharp Iron. Heats up very quickly and is reliable. Also has shut off. :lol:

KS quilter 07-08-2011 08:24 AM

I went through a lot of Rowenta's...all leaked. Mentioned I
was going to have to get 'some kind' of new iron. One of my
sons said, you can have mine I never iron. He brought me a
Norelco. I have been using it for years, using only tap water as the info with it said. I've dropped it a couple
times but it just still keeps going. Don't know if they even make them anymore.

mhansen6 07-08-2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I have a Naomoto gravity feed iron. I have had gravity feed irons for 26 years and I love them.

OK. What the heck is gravity feed??

It is professional type of iron. It has a gallon bottle that hangs from the ceiling and water is fed by gravity. The iron is heavier than other types of irons. It doesn't shut off unless I shut it off. My MIL gave me one for Christmas years ago and I have been hooked ever since. It is wonderful for both sewing and pressing clothes.

IBQUILTIN 07-08-2011 09:41 AM

I read the consumers guide, and it said the Black and Decker was as good or better than the Rowenta, so I bought it instead, and I like the weight and it gets hot enough to remove those blasted creases in the bolt fold. It isn't heavy, but has a nice feel to it. I like it better than my rowenta

JUNEC 07-08-2011 09:49 AM

I have several irons, not sure if I really have a favorite - but I don't use the steam - again have had leaks- I use a spray bottle which just lightly mists the fabric - love this water bottle

kwiltnutt 07-08-2011 09:52 AM

I have a Hamilton Beach Pro and I love it. I do wish it had the "turn off auto" feature but it heats up super fast and is heavy.