Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need some help!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-some-help-t49085.html)

Melinda in Tulsa 06-10-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready

Originally Posted by ginnie6
okay...no painting...my sewing area is in our bedroom and dh and I about killed each other deciding on this color! No way am I changing it! I fought hard for it and at the time had no idea it would be a dewing nook. so...I think I will look and see if I can find something for shelving to put under the ironing table....it needs to be just a tad lower and then it would work to just roll over to. I just made a little ironing board to go with the treadle. I use it alot. I can move the machine under the ironing table to the den or somewhere...not like its being used easily anyway. I do ahve a rolling chair and shelves up to the ceiling. I'm trying to do Bonnie Hunter's scrap program. I'll start saving for a little iron though....that would take up less space for just pressing blocks.

I have a tiny iron about 3 or 4" tall when sitting up that I love for pressing seams. There's no steam but it works great. They're available at most LQS's, Hancocks and maybe Joanns. I don't think they're too much but watch for coupons/sales. They come in red/white, blue/white and pink/white that I know of, maybe in other colors too. I think it's made by Smart tek. You can also use a small travel iron and they're fairly cheap.

I bought 2 old fashion little irons, one with steam, one without at the local flea market. Paid $2 each and boy, do they get hot, and no auto shut off. I don't know if you would call them travel irons or not but they are considerably smaller that a regular iron. They have the cloth type cords on them so I would guess they are from the 40's or 50's. They work great and are cheap. Also good for taking to classes because of their small size.

I used to keep a tabletop ironing board on the table next to my machine, but decided to put up my regular size ironing board across the room, so I would have to get up frequently. Just some thoughts.

PurplePassion 06-10-2010 09:52 AM

Ginny; Is that an animal hanging up? green with the fire trucks. Can I see it better? It looks like a blanket I made for my GS. Elaine

UglyCook 06-10-2010 09:56 AM

I love the pink walls!

My pressing board is purposely on the opposite side of the room from my machines so that I have to get up and walk back and forth a lot. Not the most efficient for sewing, but believe me, I need to be moving and burning calories whenever possible! Maybe thinking about it that way will help.

Scissor Queen 06-10-2010 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
I love the pink walls!

My pressing board is purposely on the opposite side of the room from my machines so that I have to get up and walk back and forth a lot. Not the most efficient for sewing, but believe me, I need to be moving and burning calories whenever possible! Maybe thinking about it that way will help.

I do that too. I chain piece and I chain iron. Ironing is exercise, right?

Chigger Holler Quilter 06-10-2010 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
Move your sewing machine over about 2 feet to the left and put an ironing surface right next to you on the right. You can purchase a wooden tv tray, cover with one layer of cotton batting and a layer of muslin and set it right next to you, works great.

I agree with this...And get a chair or stool that swivels! I like mine without arms because they just get in the way. I also like to have a small cutting mat placed where I can trim without getting up. have fun and it'll come together!

littlehud 06-11-2010 12:49 PM

My best investment was my chair with wheels. I can roll anywhere I want to go.

craftybear 06-11-2010 03:26 PM

make your sewing area so your sewing machine along the wall, to the right iron station and to the left cutting station

also a chair on rulers is nice

have fun getting your room organized

Lisa773 06-12-2010 03:11 AM

I would swap the ironing table and cutting table. And if you have a chair with wheels you can "roll" over to the ironing table and back again smoothly. It may be because I'm right handed, but I find it easier to move to the left to do my ironing while sitting at my sewing table. BTW, a "messy" sewing area shows that you are an active quilter and making beautiful works of art! Good luck.

pieces 06-12-2010 04:21 AM

Organization, organization, organization.
Remove the clutter. Unclutter one section at a time so you do not feel overwhelmed. The room will have a better "feel" to it. Its good exercise to move from station to station. :) They say to never sit more than 15 minutes at the sewing machine anyway. Pressing and trimming are necessary aspects of quilting.
I love the color of the walls!

quilter41 06-12-2010 06:12 AM

I also have a 9'x9' sewing room. However I only keep one machine out at a time and try to clean up at the end of each sewing day. Believe me it helps with the clutter. I do have two large closets that take up one wall though. This upsets me. Can't have everything. I find that getting up to press is good exercise at my age. LOL!. I may try the snack table trick though. My dream is to have a larger area so I can have my long arm in the same room.

Linda