Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I really did it this time!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-really-did-time-t240328.html)

#1piecemaker 02-03-2014 09:57 PM

I really did it this time!!!!

I was working on my long arm machine this afternoon trying to finish a quilt that I loaded yesterday. Everything was going along smoothly till I got to the end of it. That is when I saw that the backing was about 3 inches shorter than the top. Well, it was too late to fix it without pulling it off of the machine and adding more to it. So, I thought, I'll just cut it off and it will be okay. I decided I'll quilt just as close to the end as I could. WEll, wrong thing to do!!! I hit a pin and broke the needle. When I replaced the needle the machine would not sew backwards; only forwards. It would hang up and not go anywhere! After trying everything, I finally decided that I had knocked it out of time. So, I got the owners manual down and studied it. Then I got my screwdriver. I followed the directions but got lost in them. I finally decided to just put the thing back together. I loaded up a practice piece and started stitching. Cross you fingers!! I think I might have it working again!!!

AngeliaNR 02-03-2014 10:06 PM

Fingers crossed! :)

Ladibug 02-03-2014 10:09 PM

Everything but my eyes crossed!!! :)

oldpiglady 02-04-2014 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker (Post 6553940)
I was working on my long arm machine this afternoon trying to finish a quilt that I loaded yesterday. Everything was going along smoothly till I got to the end of it. That is when I saw that the backing was about 3 inches shorter than the top. Well, it was too late to fix it without pulling it off of the machine and adding more to it. So, I thought, I'll just cut it off and it will be okay. I decided I'll quilt just as close to the end as I could. WEll, wrong thing to do!!! I hit a pin and broke the needle. When I replaced the needle the machine would not sew backwards; only forwards. It would hang up and not go anywhere! After trying everything, I finally decided that I had knocked it out of time. So, I got the owners manual down and studied it. Then I got my screwdriver. I followed the directions but got lost in them. I finally decided to just put the thing back together. I loaded up a practice piece and started stitching. Cross you fingers!! I think I might have it working again!!!

Don't you hate it when a plan falls apart? BTW I am using that purple fabric, now. Love it!!!

JustAbitCrazy 02-04-2014 01:03 AM

Hope you are back on track! Thread basting is preferable to pin basting. (You probably figured that out now.) :p Been there, done that, regarding the short backing. I once tried to make a quilt as large as possible, and had the backing too close to the length of the top--ended up adding a strip across the bottom. The backing will actually be a bit longer than the quilt top once it's all done, because it's on the outside of the sandwich as it rolls up. It's like rolling up a magazine and the edges of the outer pages never line up with the rest.

zennia 02-04-2014 02:26 AM

Fingers crossed.

Tartan 02-04-2014 05:47 AM

​X fingers crossed!!

mighty 02-04-2014 06:19 AM

Oh I hope it is ok!!!!!!!!!!

Nammie to 7 02-04-2014 06:21 AM

I've taken shortcuts that turned out to be nightmares also. Hope you have your problem solved and your machine in working again.

tessagin 02-04-2014 06:22 AM

Toes crossed too!!