Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Was I a Sucker or a fool? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-sucker-fool-t109558.html)

pocoellie 03-21-2011 05:25 PM

I was going to say what everyone one else was saying, but then re-read your post-she's a quilter-she knows what the fabrics and supplies cost, she knows the time it takes, she took advantage of you, first off, second, she's not a "friend", at least not in my opinion. Tell her to either make her grandsons the quilts that they want or cough up money up front for you to make them.

wolph33 03-21-2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I was going to say what everyone one else was saying, but then re-read your post-she's a quilter-she knows what the fabrics and supplies cost, she knows the time it takes, she took advantage of you, first off, second, she's not a "friend", at least not in my opinion. Tell her to either make her grandsons the quilts that they want or cough up money up front for you to make them.

I agree totally-she took advantage of you.I would let her do it again. you were too nice too her.

IrishNY 03-21-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hope2quilt
You need to tell her that the first one was a favor but the second and third one will cost more. Your time is valuable and she is ungrateful.

I think this is the best course of action, unless you just don't want to make the second and third quilt in which case just say "no, I need the time to make a quilt for some one I care about".

Lori S 03-21-2011 05:38 PM

You need to tell her that the first one was a favor but the second and third one will cost more. Your time is valuable and she is ungrateful.

I agree , let her know the first was a friendship gesture , but you simply can not fufill anymore requests at that price. But would be happy to let her know where she can get the supplies.

susiequilt 03-21-2011 05:39 PM

I'd hand her a bill with the $20 deducted as the down payment!
That's terrible to treat you like that!

patty48 03-21-2011 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S

I agree , let her know the first was a friendship gesture , but you simply can not fufill anymore requests at that price. But would be happy to let her know where she can get the supplies.

I agree with both of these ideas.

Maia B 03-21-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
she's a quilter and gave you $20!!!!

OMG

never do anything for her again.

if it were me, the friendship would end over this. how insulting, she knows how much things costs and how much time it takes.

if all she could afford was $20 she shouldn't have asked you to make a quilt.

Shame on her! Disgusting!

JillC 03-21-2011 06:44 PM

You could always tell her you were sure she made a mistake when she wrote the check, and being a quilter herself, you know she would want to know she had mistakenly left off a zero! ;)

wolfkitty 03-21-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
Maybe she just doesn't realize what goes into a quilt, I'd explain it to her and tell her if she wants mnore quilts made it will cost X$, set a price that won't insult you.

This sounds like good advice.

Missed the part that she is a quilter. Someone suggested that you teach her to make them. If you don't feel too used, already.

Dina 03-21-2011 07:09 PM

I am just shaking my head at the gall of this friend. Whatever you do, don't make two more quilts for her. Just don't.