Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Was I a Sucker or a fool? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-sucker-fool-t109558.html)

Oistin 03-21-2011 04:45 PM

A friend of mine who is a quilter asked me to make a baby quilt for a friend of hers who was expecting a boy. She said that she would pay me and asked me for a price . I stupidly said what she could afford... Guess how much she gave me..$20 yes you read it right $20!! It was a sportstheme quilt and it had the baby's name embroidered and date of birth and even the back was sport theme. I felt insulted!!I wished I had given it to her for nothing.
Wait there's more! She said her 2 grand sons saw the quilt and wanted one made? What do I do? I agreed before I had seen how much she had given me in a check. Help. Am I a sucker or a fool? I feel like I have been taken in advantage of.

suezquilts 03-21-2011 04:47 PM

Please, never give out my name!

Maybe give her a receipt for the fabric, tell her that you multiply that times 3.
and you will take her down payment.

cjk 03-21-2011 04:50 PM

Tell her to go buy the material. When she sees the price of fabric she will think twice about giving you $20. She should see the money and time that goes into a quilt. I tell my family and friends "don't even ask unless you're willing to pay for the fabric and my time".

buslady 03-21-2011 04:50 PM

Maybe she just doesn't realize what goes into a quilt, I'd explain it to her and tell her if she wants mnore quilts made it will cost X$, set a price that won't insult you.

bluteddi 03-21-2011 04:51 PM

Tell her where u bought the fabric.She should bring u the fabric and u will only charge her for ur labor.... and that normally I charge x for labor.

cathyvv 03-21-2011 04:52 PM

She probably has no idea of the time, effort or cost in fabric and thread that goes into making a custom quilt.

Tell her to purchase the fabrics and thread and add whatever $ (you name an amount)to that for your time and labor. My guess is that she will look at fabric on line or in a lqs and decide her grandsons can use a store bought quilt.

Or, just say "NO."

SuzanneG 03-21-2011 04:52 PM

I was going to say she might not have known what goes into a quilt in both labor and money for fabric, but then I saw that you wrote she's a quilter herself. It seems that she might well have taken advantage of you and she needs a lesson in reality.

I guess at this point, I'd be honest with her and tell her that you will make the quilts, but this time you'll have to set a price to charge her for them to cover your time and expenses.

suezquilts 03-21-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Oistin
A friend of mine who is a quilter asked me to make a baby quilt for a friend of hers who was expecting a boy. She said that she would pay me and asked me for a price . I stupidly said what she could afford... Guess how much she gave me..$20 yes you read it right $20!! It was a sportstheme quilt and it had the baby's name embroidered and date of birth and even the back was sport theme. I felt insulted!!I wished I had given it to her for nothing.
Wait there's more! She said her 2 grand sons saw the quilt and wanted one made? What do I do? I agreed before I had seen how much she had given me in a check. Help. Am I a sucker or a fool? I feel like I have been taken in advantage of.

She is a Quilter! she understands.

bakermom 03-21-2011 04:53 PM

You're neither. you simply spoke before you thought. If you feel this is something you want to do for her, aks her to buy"x" amount of fabric then set a price for your work. If you really don't want to tell her no. You did the other one as a favor, you don't usually quilt for hire. MY standard answer is "this is something I do for me. If I sew for others it's a job and I no longer enjoy it"

lfw045 03-21-2011 04:55 PM

I would tell her that that was a nice start for the materials and then tell her how much the others will actually cost her.