Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it an Idea? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/idea-t299518.html)

Kelsie 09-13-2018 08:03 AM

Is it an Idea?

I am going to make a quilt for our bed. As I get older I am even colder than I was a year or two ago. My husband is toasty warm. So the question is: Can I fill the quilt differently for each side. He is always kicking off the covers or poking out a foot and I am still cold. We have a polyester on there now that has had the biscuit. Could we poly one side and cotton the other? What about wool. Wool breathes so could I put a second layer on for me? How expensive would wool be? Anyone have an idea or have experience with something like this. I wish there was some kind of warmth chart.

Barb in Louisiana 09-13-2018 08:09 AM

I don't know about a quilt, but I have heard of people buying a blanket and a sheet of the same color. Cut both items in half, lengthwise. Sew as half sheet and half blanket. You get two half blankets and he gets two sheets. In the winter I put an electric blanket on our bed. His side is never turned on. My side is usually on high. Works for us.

Stashelf 09-13-2018 08:13 AM

I have the same problem. I made a quilt for my side of the bed. We have a light weight quilt on the bed for both of us and I add my quilt to my side. We are both comfortable

Iceblossom 09-13-2018 08:15 AM

My hubby is another one of these burns like a furnace men... we have an electric mattress pad (same sort of idea as an electric blanket but on the bottom) and it has dual controls. It is similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Quilt.../dp/B00FHW8QI4

The really funny thing is he likes to turn his side on high to warm up the bed before he gets in. I'm the cold one but I only turn up my side to around 3!

Tartan 09-13-2018 09:25 AM

​I keep a micro fibre throw for my side of the bed that I throw on if I’m cold.

Peckish 09-13-2018 11:23 AM

We also have an electric mattress pad. I prefer it over the electric blanket. It has an auto-off feature that turns it off after an hour, if I desire.

HettyB 09-13-2018 11:38 AM

If you are trying to avoid seeing two different quilts on the bed, make an smaller quilt just for your side of the bed and place it between the top sheet and the main quilt.

Being a firm believer that you can never have too many quilts, I have three on my bed that (1 lap, 1 king, 1 twin) and combine them as needed. I start off cold, then get hot before getting cold again in the early mornings. The lap size is good for covering feet or wrapping around shoulders while reading in bed. (Tea and toast optional)

givio 09-13-2018 06:47 PM

I've used cotton, cotton/poly, and wool. The wool is noticeably warmer to me. You could make a twin sized quilt using wool, and just keep it on your side of the bed as an additional quilt under the one that you both share.

There's nothing that says you cannot layer batting unevenly over a whole quilt. Many people do layer batting in order to do trapunto, or create more definition for quilting motifs, however, I'd say they layer it evenly across the whole quilt. Putting an extra layer in half of the quilt might make it feel strange-- thick on one side and thin on the other-- but! it's your project, and if it makes you happy to have it that way, then go for it! :-)

quiltingshorttimer 09-13-2018 09:27 PM

I think having a second layer only on one half would be trickier to quilt. I'd also suggest a wool bat--they "breathe" which allows the body heat moisture to wick away and you stay warmer, which DH does feel sweaty. Plus they are very drapeable and not super heavy like a double batted quilt.

We use a wool bat quilt in the winter and I keep a lap quilt available during the really cold nights for DH (who gets colder than I do).

RJLinkletter 09-13-2018 09:53 PM

It is not unusual in many European countries for people to have separate quilts while sleeping on the same bed (w singles). This is why in hotels you often get twin beds pushed together. Honestly you sleep so much better - you can wrap it round you, you don’t get it ‘stolen’ and in your case they can be made differently.