Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is it an Idea?

Is it an Idea?

I am going to make a quilt for our bed. As I get older I am even colder than I was a year or two ago. My husband is toasty warm. So the question is: Can I fill the quilt differently for each side. He is always kicking off the covers or poking out a foot and I am still cold. We have a polyester on there now that has had the biscuit. Could we poly one side and cotton the other? What about wool. Wool breathes so could I put a second layer on for me? How expensive would wool be? Anyone have an idea or have experience with something like this. I wish there was some kind of warmth chart.

I don't know about a quilt, but I have heard of people buying a blanket and a sheet of the same color. Cut both items in half, lengthwise. Sew as half sheet and half blanket. You get two half blankets and he gets two sheets. In the winter I put an electric blanket on our bed. His side is never turned on. My side is usually on high. Works for us.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I have the same problem. I made a quilt for my side of the bed. We have a light weight quilt on the bed for both of us and I add my quilt to my side. We are both comfortable

My hubby is another one of these burns like a furnace men... we have an electric mattress pad (same sort of idea as an electric blanket but on the bottom) and it has dual controls. It is similar to this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Quilt.../dp/B00FHW8QI4

The really funny thing is he likes to turn his side on high to warm up the bed before he gets in. I'm the cold one but I only turn up my side to around 3!

Power Poster
    ​I keep a micro fibre throw for my side of the bed that I throw on if I’m cold.

Blog Entries
    We also have an electric mattress pad. I prefer it over the electric blanket. It has an auto-off feature that turns it off after an hour, if I desire.

If you are trying to avoid seeing two different quilts on the bed, make an smaller quilt just for your side of the bed and place it between the top sheet and the main quilt.

Being a firm believer that you can never have too many quilts, I have three on my bed that (1 lap, 1 king, 1 twin) and combine them as needed. I start off cold, then get hot before getting cold again in the early mornings. The lap size is good for covering feet or wrapping around shoulders while reading in bed. (Tea and toast optional)

I've used cotton, cotton/poly, and wool. The wool is noticeably warmer to me. You could make a twin sized quilt using wool, and just keep it on your side of the bed as an additional quilt under the one that you both share.

There's nothing that says you cannot layer batting unevenly over a whole quilt. Many people do layer batting in order to do trapunto, or create more definition for quilting motifs, however, I'd say they layer it evenly across the whole quilt. Putting an extra layer in half of the quilt might make it feel strange-- thick on one side and thin on the other-- but! it's your project, and if it makes you happy to have it that way, then go for it! :-)
    Last edited by givio; 09-13-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think having a second layer only on one half would be trickier to quilt. I'd also suggest a wool bat--they "breathe" which allows the body heat moisture to wick away and you stay warmer, which DH does feel sweaty. Plus they are very drapeable and not super heavy like a double batted quilt.

We use a wool bat quilt in the winter and I keep a lap quilt available during the really cold nights for DH (who gets colder than I do).

It is not unusual in many European countries for people to have separate quilts while sleeping on the same bed (w singles). This is why in hotels you often get twin beds pushed together. Honestly you sleep so much better - you can wrap it round you, you don’t get it ‘stolen’ and in your case they can be made differently.

I recently bought some Warm & Plush 6oz Batting from Along Came Quilting in Alberta and although I haven't yet sewn with it, if feels great. It is for a quilt for me since I am usually cold in winter and is next on my list of projects. Wool is my go-to choice for lap or bed quilts. It is lovely and warm.

My hubby and I have a similar issue. I solved it by making Two identical twin quilts for our queen sized bed. On hubby's quilt I just used flannel as a filler and on mine I used wool. Now we are both comfy. When the bed is made it isn't too obvious it has not one but two quilts on it. Hope this helps solve your problem.

That's an interesting idea. I think, if it were my issue, I'd have 2 separate quilts with a bigger top quilt that can be folded back at night.
    Lori

In the winter, DH doubles up the down comforter so it's only on his side of the bed. The quilt goes over the top of it for both of us. On the occasion I start getting a bit cool at night, I have a smaller quilt that I can put over myself. That way when I wake up in the middle of the night, I can toss it off the bed without causing him any discomfort. I still toss the big quilt into the middle - which may tick off the cats!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    That's an interesting idea. I think, if it were my issue, I'd have 2 separate quilts with a bigger top quilt that can be folded back at night.
    That's the logical solution. DH and I use separate covers. The decorative top spread is turned back. I won't use the same covers as DH. He makes a big tangle of them.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I'll put in another vote for an electric bed warmer - I've had one for years, and hate to sleep without it. As for the quilt, I would use wool, and do a double layer on your side. The difference in thickness won't be visible, and wool is a great material for adapting to individual heat needs.

Separate quilts also sounds like a good idea. If each one had a border on three sides, but not the side that's up the middle of the bed, it would look very much like a single quilt.

I have a mattress heater too. Hubby's side only gets turned on if it's -30 out. You could probably source wool batting from a mill. I know there's one in southern Alberta that makes very nice batting.

DH made us a bed base big enough to take two single mattresses, so we have separate bedding to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLinkletter View Post
    It is not unusual in many European countries for people to have separate quilts while sleeping on the same bed (w singles). This is why in hotels you often get twin beds pushed together. Honestly you sleep so much better - you can wrap it round you, you don’t get it ‘stolen’ and in your case they can be made differently.
    Yes, when we stayed with relatives in Europe, we had a bottom sheet and individual comforters. It’s the custom to roll each comforter “sausage style” and leave it on the bed in the morning. Sounds strange, but it actually looked alright.

Blog Entries
    Because I too get very cold and when I'm cold I take all of the blankets. When I was married, we just had two blankets. He normally used a sheet but if we had only one blanket on the bed to share, I would thru out the night end up taking it all
    Judy

my better half is the chilly one so we have two large throw sized quilts that I made for him for the bed, he is very tall so they are 80" long but only 45" wide. I have the sheet and a very light throw on my side, he has the sheet and his quilts. It works well. In the winter we also have a dual zone electric blanket and he has his side on 7 and I have mine off or on the lowest setting. Some winters we don't bother though, we have very short mild winters.

Special thanks to those of you that spoke about the wool. I am heading in that direction but still stewing on it. Thanks for the other ideas. Guess I should also ask my husband for his input

A common problem with many solutions. Our biggest problem is the summer time. I like to be well covered and husband doesn't. Fold the blanket double over me-works for us.