Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it an Idea? >

Is it an Idea?

Is it an Idea?

Old 09-14-2018, 02:43 AM

I recently bought some Warm & Plush 6oz Batting from Along Came Quilting in Alberta and although I haven't yet sewn with it, if feels great. It is for a quilt for me since I am usually cold in winter and is next on my list of projects. Wool is my go-to choice for lap or bed quilts. It is lovely and warm.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:37 AM

My hubby and I have a similar issue. I solved it by making Two identical twin quilts for our queen sized bed. On hubby's quilt I just used flannel as a filler and on mine I used wool. Now we are both comfy. When the bed is made it isn't too obvious it has not one but two quilts on it. Hope this helps solve your problem.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:29 AM

That's an interesting idea. I think, if it were my issue, I'd have 2 separate quilts with a bigger top quilt that can be folded back at night.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:55 AM

In the winter, DH doubles up the down comforter so it's only on his side of the bed. The quilt goes over the top of it for both of us. On the occasion I start getting a bit cool at night, I have a smaller quilt that I can put over myself. That way when I wake up in the middle of the night, I can toss it off the bed without causing him any discomfort. I still toss the big quilt into the middle - which may tick off the cats!
Old 09-14-2018, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
That's an interesting idea. I think, if it were my issue, I'd have 2 separate quilts with a bigger top quilt that can be folded back at night.
That's the logical solution. DH and I use separate covers. The decorative top spread is turned back. I won't use the same covers as DH. He makes a big tangle of them.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:41 PM

I'll put in another vote for an electric bed warmer - I've had one for years, and hate to sleep without it. As for the quilt, I would use wool, and do a double layer on your side. The difference in thickness won't be visible, and wool is a great material for adapting to individual heat needs.

Separate quilts also sounds like a good idea. If each one had a border on three sides, but not the side that's up the middle of the bed, it would look very much like a single quilt.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:48 PM

I have a mattress heater too. Hubby's side only gets turned on if it's -30 out. You could probably source wool batting from a mill. I know there's one in southern Alberta that makes very nice batting.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:06 AM

DH made us a bed base big enough to take two single mattresses, so we have separate bedding to suit.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter View Post
It is not unusual in many European countries for people to have separate quilts while sleeping on the same bed (w singles). This is why in hotels you often get twin beds pushed together. Honestly you sleep so much better - you can wrap it round you, you don’t get it ‘stolen’ and in your case they can be made differently.
Yes, when we stayed with relatives in Europe, we had a bottom sheet and individual comforters. It’s the custom to roll each comforter “sausage style” and leave it on the bed in the morning. Sounds strange, but it actually looked alright.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:00 AM

Because I too get very cold and when I'm cold I take all of the blankets. When I was married, we just had two blankets. He normally used a sheet but if we had only one blanket on the bed to share, I would thru out the night end up taking it all