Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you have a quilt laying around you don't want.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-have-quilt-laying-around-you-dont-want-t218277.html)

miriam 04-06-2013 02:44 AM

It isn't hard to find double knit material from the 1980s - make her one out of that - very large blocks of course - very Bohemian - LOL tell her you thought it was just her style.

Amythyst02 04-06-2013 03:53 AM

I think I might be looking at this from a different angle. You say this is a family member, and they must be fairly close family members to invite you up to see their new log cabin!! I am sure she has seen your quilts and would absolutely love one for the new log cabin. However, even though she sews, she probably has no idea how much time and work goes into a quilt. That was one thing that got to me, when I started doing quilts. It was not quick. I did not see much progress as you do with sewing. Even though I am currently sewing a wedding dress for my daughter, I will have it finished much faster than I would a quilt. There is the great misconception. Most sewers will not realize the time factor.

So, I would explain to her the time factor and that you are in the middle of several projects. However, you would love to spend some time showing her how to make her own quilt. You could start off by teaching her just the bare basics, and do a table runner. She will either love it, or hate it. But she will have an idea of the work that goes into it. She might even be really interested in learning to do it herself. Not everyone will decide to do it, and just take off on their own. I just figured when I started if I can make dresses, pants, etc...I can surely sew a bunch of pieces of fabric together. :D Its not nearly as easy as that !! But honestly I can hardly wait to get done with this dress, and get back to my quilting.

What ever you decide, she is family and I hope you find a solution that will satisfy both of you. Good luck.

ghquilter53 04-06-2013 03:58 AM

I have a few quilts I don't want to send you to give to her. We are planning on moving from Michigan to Nevada and some of these have got to go.

paoberle 04-06-2013 04:11 AM

Tell her that you will keep her in mind should you ever need to find a new home for one of your quilts.

Gabrielle's Mimi 04-06-2013 05:02 AM

Why not offer to trade a quilt for a week's vacation time at he new cabin? That way you both win.

Boston1954 04-06-2013 05:40 AM

Three weeks ago Jim came from work and said that a lady there wants me to make her a quilt. (this is the third person in 1 1/2 years now). I remembered some of the statements from the other thread, and made up my mind that if this person wants a quilt from me, it will be one that is already done, AND I am putting a price on it that is fair to me. I did some serious figuring and it comes out to 19 cents a square inch. That may not sound like much, but a moderate lap quilt of say, 50 x 38 inches would be just over $360.

As someone else here said, people who do not quilt, do not understand the amount of effort it takes. (and the money) Take her shopping and let her see the prices for fabric.

AZ Jane 04-06-2013 05:53 AM

LOL, read
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t217497.html
Bless his heart, same thing with my FIL Tony. But I love him so it's done, mailed and he loves it!!

Steady Stiching 04-06-2013 05:53 AM

I have a sister in law....who i might add doesn't communicate with me very often...not like we are friends (i tried). But twice now she has "put in an order" for an identical item that she has seen my DD with.
First time I laughed and said ...that bag (a very complicated travel bag) was so hard I doubt I'll ever make another.
Second time (an embroidered kitchen aid mixer cover with a pocket (and reversable)) She said....I'd just love it if you could make one "EXACTLY" like the one you made your DD for my DD.
Then....she wanted me to mail her one of our local snack items here thats only sold local.....she lives on the other side of the country.
I sent her a link from Amazon with the item listed at a really high price LOL.
Moral of the story.....some people are just users...they are constantly fishing...casting their line....see what they catch.
If I were the gal with the log cabin problem I'd tell her you are just far too busy but you know where she could get a nice one....go online and find a nice Amish quilt shop and send her the link....not your problem.
If she is looking for a rag quilt...this gal does great work. http://www.etsy.com/shop/Ashlawnfarms

cpcarolyn 04-06-2013 05:57 AM

She did ask for a quilt that you didn't want. Why not just say that at the moment you didn't have any quilts that you didn't want but when you did you would keep her in mind.

KarenR 04-06-2013 06:01 AM

I would give her a link to the precut rag quilt and explain that the pride she will feel when she makes it is priceless.