Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Irish Chain (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/irish-chain-t301119.html)

Judith1005 11-23-2018 08:09 PM

Irish Chain

On my bucket list of quilts to make next year, The Irish Chain is at the top of my list. I want to make it in just 2 colors. I have and aqua here at home and tomorrow, will travel to a different JoAnns to see if I can get more yardage of a gray that I have taken a fancy to.

So, my question is this, Do you like Single, Double, or Triple Irish Chain better and why. I am leaning toward a Double Irish Chain. This is my inspiration: https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/pat...h-chain/193231 I just think the Double adds a bit of something over the single. And, I think the triple is just too much of a good thing. What do you think?

Tartan 11-23-2018 09:35 PM

​I like single Irish Chain if there is embroidery in the big squares. I prefer double or triple if it is just Irish Chain alone.

Jan in VA 11-23-2018 09:49 PM

I prefer the double Irish chain, personally. An I sometimes make it with a different color in the middle of the chain (triple Irish chain) as I am going to do for my daughter at some point. I like to quilt it with a contrasting thread so that the design in the plain blocks is an added design element, usually using a template like a wreath of leaves, and then chaining through the smaller squares. Sorry I don't have a photo of one of mine to show.

ckcowl 11-24-2018 04:11 AM

I love the double Irish chain. Single definitely needs something extra in the large open areas- either embroidery, appliqué or special quilting. Triple is a bit much but still very lovely. I really like your inspiration piece.

Snooze2978 11-24-2018 06:42 AM

I like all the Irish Chain patterns but I agree the single is so simple, the double gives it more ???? and depending on how you do the triple, it can be amazing too. Have I think the triple on my shelf to do but my reason is I'm using a bunch of scraps from another quilt all in greens. The background will be a very dark green with a neutral as the 1st strip next to the dark green with all the other greens interplaying in the middle strip. Just my take on it. As you're using only 2 colors the double would look very nice.

luvstoquilt 11-24-2018 07:03 AM

Irish Chain is my “go to” when I need a quilt and I personally love the double best of all. I love how it just comes together. Doesn’t hurt that I am from an Irish family either.

Jingle 11-24-2018 07:19 AM

I prefer a triple Irish chain.

Iceblossom 11-24-2018 07:30 AM

I mostly work with scrap quilts and find it hard to limit myself to just two fabrics -- more power to you!

I often use a single Irish chain to hold together collections as I did in my February/Valentine's Day quilt. If I were judging it, I'd say it is too busy but since it did exactly what I wanted (use up a bunch of assorted swapped Valentine fabrics) I'm happy with it. I also made one of my rare "planned" quilts, which is a triple Irish Chain for St Patrick's Day, it's very bold and was designed because I fell in love with the border fabric. Don't have a picture of that top yet and hubby is still asleep so I'll wait a bit before I try to get a picture of it. Hadn't really realized before now that I will have two Irish chains in a row! They are so different.

I've been having some problems posting pictures lately, will have to figure out why some work and others don't...

Judith1005 11-24-2018 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 (Post 8165926)
I like all the Irish Chain patterns but I agree the single is so simple, the double gives it more ???? and depending on how you do the triple, it can be amazing too. Have I think the triple on my shelf to do but my reason is I'm using a bunch of scraps from another quilt all in greens. The background will be a very dark green with a neutral as the 1st strip next to the dark green with all the other greens interplaying in the middle strip. Just my take on it. As you're using only 2 colors the double would look very nice.

Your Triple sounds amazing. I can't wait to see it done in Green and scrappy.

Judith1005 11-24-2018 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8165966)
I mostly work with scrap quilts and find it hard to limit myself to just two fabrics -- more power to you!

I often use a single Irish chain to hold together collections as I did in my February/Valentine's Day quilt. If I were judging it, I'd say it is too busy but since it did exactly what I wanted (use up a bunch of assorted swapped Valentine fabrics) I'm happy with it. I also made one of my rare "planned" quilts, which is a triple Irish Chain for St Patrick's Day, it's very bold and was designed because I fell in love with the border fabric. Don't have a picture of that top yet and hubby is still asleep so I'll wait a bit before I try to get a picture of it. Hadn't really realized before now that I will have two Irish chains in a row! They are so different.

I've been having some problems posting pictures lately, will have to figure out why some work and others don't...

Oh, I hope your able to post photos. I would love to see your quilts. They sound so interesting. Isn't is amazing how one fabric can spark the imagination of one quilt start to finish.